1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about liquid deicer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by yardsmith, Oct 10, 2014.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

Hey gang, couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for so I wanted to ask about liquid deicers- primarily about pre treating.
    I understand pre treating makes the snow a bit wetter from the bottom up;
    when you pre treat for your parking lots, how much does it change the snow? As in if you have a cold night of 5" of light sfluffy snow (which is easy to push), does pre treating make it wetter & heavier to clear off the parking lots? Nothing more miserable than having to push wet heavy snow.

Also, do you typically need to throw any salt down or post treat after you plow?
    Thanks everyone

2. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I am not real experienced with as we are just experimenting with it ourselves and not sure about making the snow heavier or wetter. What pre treating will do is keep the snow from sticking to the parking lot and that equals easier cleanup.

3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

From my experience it's been nothing to be concerned about, but sure makes it nice the way it cleans off the surface.

4. szorno

szorno Senior Member

air temp and ground temp will affect the weight of the snow much more than the melting against the ground you get from liquid. We use a commercial mag chloride solution and with temps above 15* F we plow up to wet black on most pre-treated lots.