1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about lightbar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by fernesto, Dec 5, 2011.

1. fernesto

fernesto Junior Member

I have a Whelen Edge 9000, blue/white light bar. Would it be ok/legal to use for a volunteer firefighter? I live in PA. Let me know thanks

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Go online and look at your states website. It should say on there, or google search the law in your state. Some states say only red, some say only blue, some say red and blue. All for volunteers. Some say weird things, like no red to the rear only to the front, some say no white, blah blah. But your local law will say. Or If you are already a brother FF ask your Chief.
  3. res201cue

res201cue Senior Member

as far as I know no white for blue lighters here in PA but ive never seen anyone get called out on it. but as stated above check the states website.
  4. fernesto

fernesto Junior Member

Here is what the PA law says:
    § 4572. Visual signals on authorized vehicles.
    (a) Flashing or revolving blue lights.--Ambulance personnel,
    volunteer firefighters, certified volunteer search and rescue
    organization members and owners and handlers of dogs used in
    tracking humans may each equip one motor vehicle with no more
    than two flashing or revolving blue lights.

No more than 2 flashing or revolving lights. Does that mean 2 separate lights, or like 1 light bar with no more than 2 lights on it??
    That light bar I have has 8 blue strobes, and 2 white????

I really hate how pa's laws are written

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

It means no more that 2 seperate lights. Your lightbar will be fine. Lots of guys still run the good ole code 3 mx7000s and those have atleast 4 rotators in them if not 5. I did one, one time for a guy with 6 rotators in it, and 2 oscilating lights all in the upper level of the bar. You'll be fine with that edge bar.