1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about insurance on plow truck...

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by trqjnky, Nov 13, 2009.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i own an auto repair shop, and am going to start plowing commercially this year. i have million dollar liability and all the other overly priced insurances for my shop. my truck is covered under my business insurance. so would this be good enough to cover me out plowing?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The best person to ask is your insurance agent.

3. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I am sure each state is different.. But in the northeast the policy depends on what you plow..and the requirements of the property you are contracted under..Town&state roads require a different policy..
    +1 on ask the agent

4. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Bottom line yes, you would be covered for slip and falls under your GL or and auto liability under your garage policy. But I can tell you if you have a loss they might consider non renewing you, or they will audit your policy to make sure they are picking up the exposure with premium charges.
    It is no big deal though to be honest. We see it all the time, just when the audit comes you have to show payroll or gross sales so they can charge for it, but your claims will not be denied unless your policy has a snow plowing exclusion. Just pull your policy and read over the main section of it, and also read over the endorsements to it

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not unless it has a snowplowing clause in it. But check with your agent.

6. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

most policies, by most I mean most companies, use policies that unless something is specifically excluded on your commercial auto policy or GL policy, it will be covered, that is why it is important to check what is excluded on your policy or ask your agent

7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think so bud. My old man has a shopkeepers policy and had to get an additional endorsement for plowing snow. Saying you'll be covered under a GL policy unless something is specifically excluded is so far off it's not even funny. You need a policy written for the type of work you're doing. Your GL policy for a flower shop wouldn't cover you roofing someone's house would it? How about a restaurant GL policy covering paving? Landscaping? Get my drift? :dizzy:

8. wdcs1

wdcs1 Member

I agree. My gl policy covered mine. But a friend of mine had to upgrade his ins. with his policy holder. Check around all ins. agents seem to be different.

9. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Have to disagree with you, I am a underwriter for an insurance company and have been for multiple years. If you operate under a name, that named insured is covered for ANY operations it does, unless specifically excluded, what do you think insurance companies do audits?? It is also up to what type or edition date the insurance company uses.
    Any yes if you were ABC restaurant and you used your delivery truck to haul paving materials or plow with it, there would be coverage

Hate to be petty but I am right. It all comes down to It depends on what form, edition date, and exclusions on your form policy, most companies is a form for GL that unless it is specifically excluded, it is covered. Now them renewing you after they find out you doing other things that what they originally insure you for is another story

10. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Not your agents that would be different, it woudl the different carriers (companies) that the agent has in their office to use

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The way my GL worked, you are technically right -- as far as you go but you're both right to an extent. Anything (legal) IS covered; HOWEVER, if something (such as "snowplowing") is not listed as an "activity", they will pay the claim related to plowing snow, but immediately cancel the policy for exposing them to risk for which they did not agree.