1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about how to plow with my New Boss

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by P.L., Dec 29, 2009.

1. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

I have been plowing with Fisher plows for the past 15 or so years and still do. I have a 99'
    f350 with and 8' Straight blade on it for my primary plow truck. I just put a Boss 9' super duty xt straight blade on my 05 f450 as a back up truck. One thing that I am not used to is hydraulic down pressure. My question is how do most of you plow? I would think that you would plow most of the time in float mode and only use down pressure when scraping. My fear is that the down pressure with damage the plow or the truck, but don't know because it's all new to me. Any recommendations will be a great help.

2. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I wasn't aware that Boss had down pressure.

Is this something new I haven't heard about?

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't heard of it either. Maybe it's new.

4. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

Maybe I'm wrong about it. Whats the purpose of float mode if there is no down pressure when you just press down. Or another way of asking whats the difference between just pressing down and putting it in float mode?

5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

You also had float mode on your Fisher. Boss does not have down pressure.

6. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

so whats the differance between just pressing down or holding the button down untill it turns red. In the book they call it float mode?

7. Pushin 2 Please

When your plowing the plow could raise and lower with the lot or drive when red. When its green the plow can not go lower.

8. JDiepstra

Float mode lets the plow "float" over the surface no matter how "unflat" it may be. If the terrain goes up, the plow goes up. If the terrain goes down, the plow goes down. It follows the contour of the ground. If you just put the plow on the ground and go, it is held at that same height. If the terrain goes down, the plow does not follow it. Basically, float releases all hydraulic pressure holding the plow, allowing it to float freely. Setting it down still keeps it locked at a certain height, so it isn't goint to be following any contours.

9. Pushin 2 Please

Well put JDiepstra... Thats what i meant!

10. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

Ok I get it now, I was under the impression that with it down it would stay in the same position and not move up either. Thanks for the replies, I was a little concerned because I could see down pressure causing damage to the plow and truck.

11. JDiepstra

Haha well I feel like my explaination made it even more confusing!

12. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

#7 Today, 02:48 PM
    Pushin 2 Please
    Member Join Date: Dec 2009

When your plowing the plow could raise and lower with the lot or drive when red. When its green the plow can not go lower.

But it still can go higher, right?

13. Pushin 2 Please

Yes it can still go up, just won't go lower.

14. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

Thank you. Now I understand 100%