1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about headlight strobes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by S & L LawnCare, Feb 22, 2005.

1. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

ok here is my question now i am not a cop or a firefighter and i was just wondering if I put the strobes in my headlights can I use clear or do they have to be Amber

people with info please reply as soon as possible Im installing them this weekend

2. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

I would go with amber just to be on the safe side.

3. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

IDK I LIKE CLEAR AND ALSO COLOR IS SO MUCH MONEY :redbounce :waving: :salute:

4. E&B

E&B Member

Clear is legal shining forward only but you can always find a headstrong cop thats going to give you crap about it. So if you don't want the hassle go with amber. (or blue :gunsfiring: )

5. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

blue is only legal in canada, no blue green or red in the states. clear strobes in your head lights may look like wig wags i think that will get you stoped. if you must go with the head lights i would go yellow. i put my clear strobes in my marker lights and directionals.

jeff

6. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

i never thought of that thanks A ton im gonna put them in the directionals now thank you

7. E&B

E&B Member

The blue was supposed to be a joke. But that said there is nothing illegal about having them in the headlights. Personally mine are in the directionals and backup lamps because my truck is high enough to see them over the blade and I don't like to see the bulb in the headlight when there off.

8. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Seeing as you're from NH, DON'T INSTALL CLEAR STROBES!

Clear strobes are classified as a 'traffic clearing' color, and it is illegal to display these on a plow/utility vehicle. Blue is for POLICE, red is for FIRE and amber is for UTILITY vehicles.

If you are going to install hide-a-ways, install them behind amber lenses (marker/directional) or buy amber bulbs.

9. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

o ok thanks ya im gonna put them in the directionals i think ok thanks for the warning

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  10. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Its not illegal to have clear strobes in NH. I had clear strobes in my parking lights and two clear strobes in the front of my lightbar. Passed many cops including troopers and even the DOT officers and nothing. I had one officer pull me over because my taillights were strobing red and said I could only use clear and amber. I still have my taillights flashing red and haven't had any problems and even talked to a friend who is a officer in town and said there is nothing wrong with the taillights because their in the back of my truck.

11. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same problem 2 years ago I got pulled over for strobes flashing Red in the back officer tells be they have to be CLEAR or AMBER.This year I change it around so they are all CLEAR and get pulled over in another city for having them clear he said they have to be AMBER only so I think it just depends on the city (state) or the officer.Next year I may just spent the money and change the bulbs but they are exspensive.

12. mpflood

mpflood Member

Amusing

I Just find this funny.The fact that most of you guys Don't respond as fire,ambulance,or police and run these lights.Is it the "look" factor?
    Don't even go down that saftey road with me.A cheap lil Whelen cadet rotator
    with amber lens and you cant go wrong.(mag mount on roof)

I do have clear strobes in headlamps,Traffic backer module to alternate reverse and brake lamps,and a sweet assortment of blue l.e.d.'s.
    You really do need that much ,here in Jersey, for these people to move over.
    But,
    As a snowplow guy, I would never turn on these lights,unless responding.
    If a cop ever approached me about a amber caution light flashing on my truck,you boys would have to hold me back, cause I'm getting locked up!!!

I would advise you guys not to drive from job to job with the light on though,
    Just gives these young Don Johnson's a reason.

13. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Who cares what color they are on private property? Who drives down the road with them on anyway. In the middle of the night, the only reason that I have my strobes on is if I am backing onto the street to clear an entrance then the headlight strobes are no good anyway, just the roof top strobe is all that anyone is going to see. You can pick them up at Miejers or Advanced auto for less than $20. Strobes are great at a Truck show or at your local truck hangout on truck night, other than that I hardly ever turn them on. They are rather irratating bouncing off the back of your plow anyway. Now if you are plowing for a local municipality on the streets that is a different story, and if you are plowing for them, you would probablly fall under their rules for a emergency vehicle anyway.

14. chris k

chris k Senior Member

In Ma you can have amber facing any direction, clear facing any direction, red facing rear only, no blue, and I'm pretty sure no green.

15. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

16. GSE

GSE Senior Member

OK, I've searched high and low for the NH RSA which defines warning light colors. I have yet to find it, so I will (for now) retract my statement of legality. I will include an excerpt from NH RSA 266:74:

"... Emergency lights shall not be in operation except during an emergency, and in the case of private snow removal vehicles, while such vehicle is actively in use in snow removal..."

While for now I will agree that I've found nothing supporting my claim that it's illegal, (while I still am not convinced it isn't) for common sense purposes, please hear me out.

As a paramedic, I have a hard enough time getting people to move out of the way while responding to an 'emergency'. Showing anything but amber strobes 'dumbs down' the public when they see a real emergency vehicle 'clearing the right of way' with clear lights. It also promotes confusion among the motoring public when they see a truck coming behind them (and we all know in our 4x4's we drive faster during a storm than 'most' of the public) with clear strobes flashing. They see a truck closing in, and for a split second have to make the decision whether or not they need to move out of the way. While it might sound silly, I have been to MVC's caused by just this.

If you want to hammer around your lots and flash your clear strobes, be my guest. All I ask is you shut them off when you return to driving on a public way.

*thump* <Jumps off of soap box>

17. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's my point also, who would drive down the street with them on, I sometimes forget to turn off my roof strobe, but so does everyone else.

18. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Why tempt fate? Put clear strobes in the turn signals up front and the brake lights in the back and you won't have to worry about it. Use them when you are plowing/salting or when there is a legitimate hazard and forget about it. Use common sense and you will avoid trouble.

19. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

lol u guys make me laugh here is the real reason i want headlight strobes like someone said earlier i dont wanna scratch my roof and plus i have this annoying little rotator i mean it drives me nuts so as far as forgetting to shut it off doesnt happen and frankly i like headlight strobes asked a couple of buddies of mine cuz they have headight strobes and they said cant go wrong

going back to the rotator beacon its 1 of those code 3 beacons and if i was in need of an emergency it would be great but i dont im just a plow driver

20. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just don't forget to pick up a set of the lights that you mount under the frame, either green, blue or lavander, they would also help out when plowing.