1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about glow plug heater...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by gotsnow?, Jan 27, 2008.

1. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

And the problems start.....

I just got a 2000 S.D. w/ the 7.3L a few weeks ago, and last night it started popping the reset/breaker on the outlet I plug the glow plus heater into. It's been staying in the teens to zero degrees at night around here lately so I must plug my truck in or it refuses to start in the morning..... What could be causing the plug coming from my truck to pop my breaker?? I know both the male side of the plus (coming from my truck) and the female side of the extension cord are dry when I plug them together. I don't know where to start on this problem. Thanks for any suggestion, David-

2. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

Juice

Hi David, check your cord on the truck fromthe plug to the engine, there could be a small cut where both the wires are exposed, also make sure the circuit its plugged into is atleast a 20amp breaker with nothing else running on it like a fridge or your beer keg cooler. Try a different extension cord, if your plugging it in the shop , when it blows does it take the shop lights out with it?Just some ideas,

3. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

Do you mean "Block heater"? If so just isolate problem. 1-Try different outlet, block heaters require a large amount of power (9-12 amps not uncommon) the circuit might be overloaded. 2. try different ext. cord ( use short as possible and minimum 12 ga.). 3- Inspect cord on heater itself for any damage, if removable from heater test with ohm meter while twisting on cord. 4- install new heater unit, if it's the original and has had regular use it has lived long enough. Usually not hard to replace, drain coolant and take out a couple bolts. I always listen for mine to start to gurgle when I plug it in now, they always quit on the coldest night of the year when you need them the most.

4. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I haven't checked the cord from the plug to engine, I will tomrrow afternoon. I'll have to check with my electrician on how many amps my breaker is, however I believe I have one breaker to my garage running three outlets and garage door. Nothing has changed as far as what's running off those outlets since I first started using one of them to power my block heater (I guess it is block heater NOT glow plug heater) it just started popping for no obvious reason (although there is obviously a reason). :realmad: I will try a differant ext. cord too tomorrow and no it does not take out shop lights, just garage door power and the three outlets in the garage (anything plugged into them). Thanks, David-

5. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Breault, could needa new heater, I do not know how old this one is, could be original... Truck has 176,xxx miles on it..... I'll test that as well. Thanks, david-

6. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

prsport Update: Well, problems' solved! We decided to check out the male plug (coming from the block heater) as it had a little rust around the edges. While trying to unscrew all the screws to check and see how the wires looked inside the plug housing we stripped one of the scews. So we just cut the end off and put a new one on, checked the wiring from the plug all the way to the block heater, no broken wires... So we went ahead and plugged it in, breakers didn't pop and I could hear the block heater start to gurgle! I'm assuming one of the wires some how had shorted out inside the plug.

7. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

You're too lucky.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Some times with GFI breakers and recepticles you can have it trip with runs longer that 30 feet. An electrician told me you get "eddy currents" in a long run over 30 ft and it will trip a GFI.

9. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I believe the ext cord I'm using is either a 30 or a 50 foot cord, I should stretch it out sometime and measure, I have a 20 footer I could use in it's place (to keep breakers from popping in the future). However I haven't had any issues since I changed out the old truck side male plug....

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had trouble with my Christmas lights popping the GFI in dry weather.
    So I asked my neighbor who's an electrcian. It's one of those little known electrical things.