1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about Fishers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Apr 30, 2002.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'm just curious. Is it possible to put a poly edge on a Fisher? Does anyone run their fisher with a poly edge? If it isn't done, what are the reasons? thanks, Nick.

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

4. SCL

SCL Senior Member

There are previous posts on this as I have a fisher and have asked. The info I got is you have to let the factory edge wear down (I think to 4") before you install any other edge. Its a matter of leverage.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You actually need to let the factory base angle as Fisher calls it wear down before adding an edge. I run steel edges and still wait. I have seen people put steel edges on a brand new Fisher plow before the base wore down. The plow does not work right for some reason.

Not sure the exact difference for a poly edge but I would still want the base angle worn.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

oldmankent - You could contact Dino/Plowking35 if he's still selling urethane edges. He'll give you some good info for putting an edge on your Fisher. Lots of good information in the archives for Urethane edges

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I actually don't have a fisher. I run a snoway. I am going to get a poly edge for the snoway this summer if I have the money available. What I'm really looking forward to is less noise. Reason I asked about the fisher is that where I go to school they use a Fisher and have to plow alot of gravel roads and driveways. Seems like they pick up alot of material. I noticed that the edge on their plow is wearing down and looks like it is getting close to the actual blade on the plow. I was going to recommend a poly edge to them cause I've read here that it doesn't pick up as much material, but at the same time still scrapes the snow off well.

8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I've had a poly edge on my Fisher for 2 seasons or about 135 (+ or -) hours of plowing with that truck. It was put on to replace a steel edge that was about half way worn down, and the steel edge was not put on until the base angle had been worn in correctly. The only problem I have had with that plow and the poly edge is that it didn't scrape hard pack & ice as well as the other plows with poly edges. This is because of the difference in angle that the Fisher plows have in their curves. The plow edge "floated" up & over the bad hard pack situation I had to deal with once. During the ice situation I had to deal with another time, the steel edges weren't doing much better, but the Fisher plow with poly edge got benched for that storm because it wasn't able to scrape it at all. Other than those two times, the poly edge has been great & its benefits far outweighed those negatives.