1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about F250 benefits

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kevlars, Sep 15, 2011.

1. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I may have the opportunity to buy my Father in law's 2000 F250 Super Duty. It is a Super cab long bed with the 7.3 power stroke. I have a Hiniker 8 1/2' poly V plow that will be put on it.

-My question is, compared to my current truck in my signature, how can the front end handle the weight?
    -How is the power compared to my Cummins?
    -Automatic transmission durability?
    -And, any other issues.
    -It sits quite a bit lower than my truck, how will this affect plowing ability?

My truck has 127k miles and the Ford only has 69k miles, and looks like new. It has always been stored inside, and well maintained.

Thanks for your input,
    kevlars

2. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Nobody has any opinions?

kevlars

3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Owning both dodge ram and a f250 I'd say
    1: better
    2: close to same
    3: ford better tranny( i say that because I've only had a problem with dodge tranny)
    4: ?
    5: fords are lower but as long as your not plowing off road or got some really low hanging mount it wont matter hiniker got good clearance I'm sure( even my 1/2ton dodge sit higher then my 3/4ton ford. well in the back anyway)

4. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

JGD, thanks for the info!!!

kevlars

5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Is there anyway you can run one truck for work/plowing and use the other for personal use?

6. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Is there anyway you can run one truck for work/plowing and use the other for personal use?

I would love to. But, I don't want to insure and license both trucks.

Also, I know that I would want to do the transmission, and repair the body, and paint the Dodge that I have, next year. So, I wouldn't be gaining anything.

kevlars

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would go with the Ford. You can"t kill the 7.3 , many go 400,000 miles. Front end parts replacement is a hazard of plowing snow. If you wrench your own stuff it's really not that bad. I can do my entire front end for about $450 in parts. Brakes, rotors, bearings, tie rods, ball joints, U-Joints, seals and grease. Your then good for another 30,000 or so if your plowing snow. Paying to have it fixed may be a problem.

8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

response in red

9. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

CK THE OIL PAN cant believe no one has said that.

10. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

What gives with the oil pan?

Kevlars

11. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

they have a tendancy to rot

12. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I did a little checking, and found that out. Doesn't sound like an easy fix, either!!

I don't think this one will have much issue with that. They used this truck to pull their 5er to where it was warm in the winter. So, it wasn't in the salt much, and spent almost it's whole life in the machine shed.

kevlars