1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question About Douglas Dynamics (Fisher, SnowEx, Western, Henderson, etc.)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by derajfast, Jan 6, 2016.

1. derajfast

derajfast Junior Member

My apologies if this is not the right place to post, but I am curious to see if there is any general consensus on Douglas Dynamics' products (including the new Henderson stuff that they recently added). I've been told by a few folks/dealers than they're the gold-standard of snow plows and most users are very very loyal to their products.

I wanted to check here for some unbiased opinions and to hear anyone's thoughts. Are there other products of equal or greater quality/value?

Thanks for the help!

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Well we don't really have much of a choice. The only thing that isn't dd is.. Boss, Meyer, and buyers.
  3. derajfast

derajfast Junior Member

Interesting. So there really aren't many competitors?

Overall do you find their products are solid though, or are they lacking due to so little competition?
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Have you been around plows long?
  5. derajfast

derajfast Junior Member

Brand new, and just kicking the tires (errr I mean plows) at the moment.
  6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

All plows have their own ups and downs, :laughing:, what one person thinks is an important feature some other may think is useless. I like my Fisher, I liked my Meyer. I don't like the Boss we have but that is just because it is old and worn out.

Also coming here for an unbiased opinion really isn't going happen. Most of us are loyal to our brand. Soon you will learn which plows are easy on transmissions and which plows can wipe your butt for you since they are so great. So just remember it is all about what you like.
  7. dieselss

Went over your head. They are good. However, a brand that they bought, didn't do so good after the takeover. I'm sure there was issues the public might not have been aware of.
  8. dieselss

I thought they were picked by the color they came in?
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It's no different than RAM\Ford\Chebby.

Or Cat\Deere\Komatsu.

Or..................well, you get the idea.
  10. derajfast

derajfast Junior Member

Thanks for the info; very helpful! Totally understand that it comes down to personal preference, but I guess I'm looking to see if, despite some personal preferences, there is a degree of "respect" and/or admiration of their products. Sort of in the same way the people will pay a little more for Bounty Paper Towels because it's generally considered a quality product, rather than Comcast because there's no other alternative.
  11. derajfast

derajfast Junior Member

Henderson? I'm curious to know what happened.
  12. dieselss

No not them.
    It is really all personal preference. But you can't go wrong with them, or the other big name brands.
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Overall, it really has more to do with dealer support than brand name, at least for me.

Everything breaks sooner or later, so if your dealer supports you, that is more important. Yes, there are things that make a difference--faster hydraulics, more user friendly controller, better lighting, easier hookup--but they all do the same thing, move snow.
  14. derajfast

derajfast Junior Member

Forgive me if this is a foolish question, but do most dealers operate exclusively with a particular brand, or do they tend to carry a couple different makes from various manufacturers? If the latter, then wouldn't a decision then come back to product as a "good" dealer who theoretically service all manufacturers equally.
  15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

In the dark ages in the '70's I used a Fisher, the '80's Meyer and Western, then back to Meyer and now Boss (and a Meyer).

Fishers trip edge was good for wet/heavy snow but if you hit an obstacle taller than the edge you'd bend a steering wheel.

Meyer and Western full trip allowed the plow to ride over taller obstacles but tripped more with wet/heavy snow unless you added springs and ran them a little tighter.

90's Vintage Meyer was a EZ Classic Mount, Poly Blade and work the same as the previous one. This was also my 1st plow with a electric pump.

Boss with it's direct lift, dual trip and mount is really working for me and glad I waited for a DXT. I didn't like the Full Trip on the Flat Tops and VXT and was considering a Western or Fisher again.

OP everyone has their own expectations and needs. Do you're homework, understand how the plow works and if possible talk or even ride along with people in your area. They're working in the same conditions as you'll be and using the same dealers as you'll be.
  16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

For *****sake you guys really derailed this thread. To the OP, fwiw I'm a big fan of Fisher and their products. They've served me well for the 20 years I've been plowing. Boss is a quality product as well if you want to look outside of the DD family of plows. It all comes down to what you really prefer. Most places aren't open at 3am so dealer support is moot. You stock extra parts and accessories and hope you don't break down. Do the proper maintenance on your equipment and it will last. Good luck