1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about cutting edge...

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Shortstuff, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

I am just about ready to purchase a new Fisher 8'HD complete plow setup. Can anyone tell me if a cutting edge is normally included with a complete purchase, or is it considered an 'option' that I would normally pay extra for?

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

A cutting edge has always been included in the price of every plow I've ever purchased. There was a thread on here last year about edges being considered an "option". I can't remember the specifics but if you do a search you might be able to find it.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The HD's do not include an edge.

4. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

As always, B+B is right on the money. The Fisher HD series trip-edge has two hardened steel wearbars welded on the back to reduce wear. The trip-edge itself is considered a "cutting edge", until it has worn down enough to require a new edge, which is bolted right on the pre-punched holes. If worn too far, the lower mounts for the trip springs get worn off. That's why you sometimes see old Fishers missing a spring- someone went too long on the trip-edge.

So after my unneccessarily long answer to your short question, the cutting edge is usually not considered "standard equipment" during a purchase.

5. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

Thanks for the replies, as it turns out the cutting edge is an option and costs extra.

Steve

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You do not need the cutting edge right away. I will only add weight to the plow. You might get 200 commercial hours of plowing before you need one.

7. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

I've read many posts about 'wearing in' the lower portion of the blade before attaching a cutting edge, but never owning a plow I don't know exactly what this all means.

Can you explain this to me, and please bring it down to simple terms (sorta like plant-life) as I'm not very knowledgeable at all about this.

Thanks - Steve

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you put a cutting edge on now, it will not hang below the trip edge by much, if it all. Most guys will wear an inch or so off the trip edge before putting on the cutting edge. It doesn't really matter what you do. If you are plowing commercial at all, I would have the dealer put on the cutting edge now. You can just wear the cutting edge and trip edge down together. It will take longer, but it's the same money out of your pocket at the end of the season. You should at least get the install (5 minutes with an air gun) for free, if not the whole deal. If your only doing a few driveways, don't bother with it for another year or two. When you look at the plow, what they are saying about wearing too far and losing a trip spring will make perfect sense to you, and you'll know when to put the new edge on just by looking at it.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Cutting edges and skids are optional to keep the weight and cost (mostly weight) down. Adding the wear edge increases the weight of the unit disallowing certain fits because of excessive weight.

You can shop the local Meyer dealer to see if they have a better price on the wear edge as they are interchangable.;)

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My freind just bought a brand new GMC 1500 with a brand new 7.5' HD Fisher, and he had to pay extra for the cutting edge. They toled him to put shoes on it, and he toled them that he wears shoes on his feat and not his plow.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Most plows need a cutting edge. This is the part that rides along the pavement. The Fisher plow you are looking at comes with a built in cutting edge, it is part of the plow. You can use the plow without the add on cutting edge until you wear the stock edge down to the point where you need a new cutting edge. You simply bolt on the new edge in the predrilled holes and you are good to go again. I would not install the new cutting edge until you wear down the stock one. You are only adding weight you don't need.

12. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

Yours and the advise of others has been well taken and I cancelled the cutting edge off of my order. I will be picking everything up tomorrow (Friday) morning.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Steve

13. sbt1

sbt1 Member

This is why shoes exist

Put the shoes on and leave them on.

I often read about people who complain that their blade wears out prematurely.. but when you ask, they have taken the shoes off! Duh.

The shoes are installed by the mfr to take the wear, so the edge doesn't wear. Shoes are cheap and we used to simply weld angle iron onto them after they wore down instead of replacing them.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to take the shoes off your plow.

BTW, in case anyone asks, I do have some experience... been plowing snow since 1976.

14. mercer_me

I like a clean scrape, so I just buy cutting edges.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

x2 My customers pay alot for premium service, Cutting edges are just another cost of doing business. Like gas, insurance, and transmissions.

16. mercer_me

Ya, my customers don't want to walk through snow and slush, the want there drive way scraped clean.

17. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Cutting edge costs less than a worn out trip edge!!! :nod:

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This is in the Non-commercial/Homeowner section so he apparently HAS no customers. His trip edge that comes with the plow will last for many years unless his plowing surface consists of acres and/or miles.

19. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I use shoes too !!! They wear down to were the edge is almost touching ... If it gets to much I add a washer.........It gives the plow a better chance of bumping over some thing in stead of SMACKING in to it !!!!! That is why they make(add) them !!!!!!!!!

20. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Last time i checked they were installed for when you plow gravel driveways that aren't frozen.