1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about cutting edge

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I need a new edge on my 7.5 ft meyer, but I am not gonna spend 100 bucks for a piece of metal. My buddy works at a welding shop and they have lots of steel there. And I may be able to get it for free, and he can put the square holes in it. Question I have, are cutting edges made from some kind of special steel, or are they just regular cold-rolled? And what thickness would be best? Finally, are new edges 5 or 6 inches tall? Thanks

2. kkls2006

kkls2006 Member

I thought cutting edges were hardened steel, but not 100% sure????

3. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

I think they are hardened steel. New edges are 6". As far as thickness, I would go 1/2". The thicker it is, the longer it takes to wear down.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thermos, your Meyer will have a 6" tall edge on it and most edges are made of 1080 high carbon steel rather than just plain old cold rolled. For this year I'm trying a new kind of material for my edges. It's called "Hardox", I'm getting it from a local factory a buddy work's at that build's mining equipment and rock crushing machinery.They use it due to it's extreme wear resistance. He told me that's it's actually used for bullet proof steel by the government and during the Gulf war their company actually had a hard time getting their order's of it due to the war. Being that we've had barely any snow I haven't put enough use on the plow yet so see how the Hardox is gonna hold up.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Thanks guys:salute: My edge has about an inch or so left on it:cry: B&B, I bet that stuff is still hard to find. Sounds real expensive to me. Is it heavier than regular steel?

6. The cutting edge is made of steel that is heat treated and hardened. Very tough, but NOT brittle. The square holes are only there to hold the carriage bolt from spinning while its being tightened. I usually pay about $78.00 for an 8 footer, but than you end up buying the bolt kit and that comes to about $95.00 just like you said. Well, you gotta spend money to make money.

7. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If you make one give it a 1/2" over lap on both sides..my friend made his like that, he runs curbs hard all day..he had his for three years and it still works well !!

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, I'm not really sure where else you could find it as having a friend that worked at the factory made it easy for me to get. It is a little heavier than normal steel,you can actually tell when you pick it up that it's heavier than the same size/thickness of reg steel but he told me that it's so abrasion resistant that a piece of 3/8 thick Hardox will last at least twice as long as a 1/2 thick 1080 steel cutting edge which is what I replaced with the Hardox. It also come's with a special coating on it for identification.This is strictly an experiment for this year and if we ever get some snow I'm gonna closely monitor the wear on the edge. I also questioned him about it being brittle due to it's extreme hardness but he assured me and said "it's not brittle,it's hard". They actually bend it in a press brake all the time without problem's,so I'd say if it was brittle it'd break when they bend it but it doesn't so I'm convinced it should work out great.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

hey B&B,

How did this grade of steel work for you? Has it held up longer, etc?

10. bdschumaker

bdschumaker Junior Member
    from IL

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

LOL, I'm sure the original poster got a new edge by now. I was just curious what B&B thought of that particular grade of steel.

12. bdschumaker

bdschumaker Junior Member
    from IL

LOL my bad, didn't even look at dates.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Held up fine for about 10-15 events before the ends were worn much further than they should have been, so it only lasted half as long as 1080, not twice as long so I believe he had his facts on material backward back then. We then switched to 1/2" and it held up better than the 3/8" (duh) but still didn't come close to the life of 1/2" 1080.

Not all experiments are successful...and that's why they're referred to as experiments.

14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Being in the fab industry for many years, I had never heard of hardox steel, so I was just curious when I came across this thread. Thanks for the info.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm suprised the UHMW polys have not caught on more. Incredable wear and an excellent clean, if you pre-treat.

16. Gbettner

Gbettner Junior Member

Good info here! I put a new edge on my blade at the beginning of the season ( 3/8"x5" plain old cold rolled). I have about 30 hours of hard use on it and it's completely shot, I'm going to try to make it last another snow or 2 but it definately wore out too quick, this thread tells me why. I already have a peice of 1/2"x 6" cold rolled to replace with that I'm sure will go fast also. I'll invest in something better as soon as I have the means.