1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about cummins ext cab 3500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ALEX516, Aug 27, 2005.

1. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

Have a 1997 ram 3500 cummins 4x4, extended cab...

Wanting to put a plow on this season and wanted some advice on what plow and size to go with.

Have used a 8.5 fisher with snofoil before on a 2500 reg. cab. and was planning on going with a 8.5 fisher again, but was concerned about the dual rear wheels and it's effect on packing down snow beyond the plow, etc///

And most importantly, I was worried about the weight on the front end.

Will have plenty of ballast, as I was also thinking about running another full bed fisher sander in it this year, two sanders get the job done quicker than 1!

Anyhow, if anyone is running a truck like this one with plow and or sander, please give me your input....

thanks all for reading.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

search the forum (commercial forum too) about "ballast".

dual rears will loose traction more than pack down snow in my experiance. IMHO extended cabs aren't good for plowing- they reduce the front axle weight capacity- look at the DC specs.

Duallies need 9 foot blades minimum- 10 foot is common. Unless you're doing parking lots the snofoil is a waste of $$ and added weight you don't need. If you have long driveways a rubber belt deflecter is lighter and way cheaper.

Quick ballast lesson- Ballast is to offset the front axle weight therefore it MUST be behind the rear axle to be effective. A 2 yard sander is over the rear axle and infront of it- anything infront of the rear axle is adding weight to the front axle- anything on top of the rear axle is adding weight to the rear axle, some to the front axle, and is not helping to remove anything from the front axle. Ballast should be within 12 inches of the tailgate per DC- the further away from the rear axle the more effective. Think of levers and fulcroms- basic high school physics. The frame is the lever and the axle's are fulcroms.

The only sander that will be ballast would be a tailgate sander- but remember as you spread the sand in it you are loosing ballast.