1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about clearing off airport snow

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by Rex in OTZ, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Junior Member

Is there a method to clearing snow off large areas like the ramps and taxi ways of airports, The state seems to get the planes going for the schedules by clearing paths and stockpileing, after the the planes have gone they punch up the piles and even consolidate them, 4-9 days later they start hauling off the piles one loaderbucket full at a time, seems allot of wasted motion and running round to remove snow? seen a bucket full of snow get handled 6 times before it ever gets to the melt field 1/4 mile away.

This airport is a main transportation hub for the region the size of Iowa (no roads), freight and passenger jets make daily use of this two runway airport, with lots of small commuter aircraft use.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

first off i am not into the airport deal but what i think the reasoning is, is to get the planes in the air the roads crews do basically the same thing if we need to haul the snow out the top priority is to get things moving so we will open the road as best we can then when all the hype is over we will began to start bunching the piles up and hauling it out its a little monotonous but it works
  3. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

I don't run a plow at an airport, but I work in the control tower. What they do here is open up the ramp and taxiways first. So long as the gates are clear and there's a path for aircraft to move, they'll just pile it up in the middle of the ramp. Once they get ahead of the storm, they start running the merry-go-round with 3 big blowers till the mound has been blown into the grass.

As for the gate areas of the ramp, they pile it up out of the way, then load the plow trucks, when time allows, by front end loader. The plows truck it off to another part of airport property to melt or be force melted if OPS has leased an ice melter.

They still move the same pile of snow a few times, but it seems to work for them.
  4. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

I've watched the guys in here in Petersburg a bit, they usually focus on the runway then deal with the short taxi way and ramp later. Generally they'll clear a path for the morning jet and then they've got about 4 hours to clear the ramp by windrowing everything over to one end of the G/A ramp and then blow it into the muskeg before the afternoon jet gets in. Probably a little different deal than Kotzebue since there's so much less traffic here.