1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about Chevy cracked frames on the front end

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by farmboy52787, Nov 2, 2011.

1. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

I've read through the 3 forums from P&P about his issue with his Chevy 3500 Cracked Frame. I have found out my 2006 Chevy 3500 pickup has the same issue and is currently going to be repaired by my dealership. It came with an 8.5 Fisher Ez-V but I upgraded to an 8.5 Xtreme V. Ya I am upset about it, but my truck has made me a lot of money and I hoped it would last longer than this, but stuff happens, things break, and my dealership is going to fix it for me even though the truck's warranty because the rep told me they've had other trucks come in and even there own plow truck had the same thing happen.

Now my question is, I have heard from 3 other people in the area, that Chevy 3500 Trucks, dually or pickup, from 04-07 have had the same problem with the frame cracking. I have not heard of any GMC truck having the same issue or any 2500HD's. So is this only with Chevy 3500 frames? If so why? I thought GMC and Chevy are the same thing except for the bodies and lights, etc. Also I think I did read that GMCs frames had gussets welded in from the factory? Can anyone confirm this or report a cracked frame from a GMC or 2500HD? Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't only happen on the 3500's, plenty of cracked 03-up 2500's out there too, both Chevy and GMC (chassis' are identical). It was most of the 01-02's that had the factory gussets. They were omitted on most of the 03-up 2500/2500 trucks thus the issue on those.

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

GM frames have been cracking since mid 1970's esp.especially at the ps box mount area. Fixed many.

4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Can anyone tell me if this is an issue with the halftons (more inportantly SUVs)? I haven't been able to find anything about it but I would like to know before its too late.

5. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

Ive just found it odd though that the one's I know about are only Chevy 3500's

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The front frame section on all the IFS trucks/SUVs are identical. What's the weight on your Snoway, and how much plowing do you do with it.

7. Squires

Squires Senior Member

B&B do you see enough of the new style 1500 chevs to see if they require gussets with the new frame design?
    Don't need a plow at this point, but my next posting could be a northern one, would only be personal use either way.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 1500's aren't a problem because they can't easily carry enough plow for it to cause frame damage directly. If something does break (when they're really pounded hard) it's something in the drivetrain that lets go first, not the chassis. So any chassis reinforcements are pointless.

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I purely guessing the weight of the plow around 400lbs?? Its an older 02ish with the 3 pt style mount and the lexan moldboard with down pressure. My normal route would be 15ish driveways and 1/4 mile road. On the weekends it would be more as I normally will do all my commercial accounts instead of subbing them out like I do during the week. I know of a good fab shop in town and if I'm not mistaken, Its a simple piece of metal (triangle shape) that is welded at the top of the upper control arm mount (rearmost mount) and welded the long way along the frame rail?

10. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the info

11. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

It is not just GM's either although they do seem to have the most problems. I had Fords in the past crack frames in the rear behind the cab and around spring hangers. The new 1/2 ton Fords are actually having problems with the front diffs falling out due to broken frame mounts. Dodge also tends to crack frames by the steering box too. My 06 2500HD still has no signs of cracking yet but i am expecting it.