1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about chevy C5500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by LHK2, Feb 25, 2007.

1. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Well, I need to replace my baby. A chevy c3500 hd with a plow and salt spreader. I spread 6 tons of salt every time out. 3 tons and reload with another 3. (OK sometimes loaded with 4 tons and then I reload) I have been looking at the Chevy C5500 dumps. I only put about 10,000 miles a year on my current truck, so I was looking into just getting a gas. Just wondering if anyone out there has anything to say about them. Hauling capacity, durability, etc. Or should I start looking for a bigger truck. Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I would just get the Dmax. I would never want a gas engine in a Class 5 truck. They are supposedly pretty good trucks. I had a C4500 and it served me well. Pretty comfortable, easy to manuever around town, plenty of power to get out of its own way (Duramax). Will you be plowing with this vehicle, or just spreading?
  3. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

I will be plowing and salting. I was thinking a putting fisher 10ft plow on the front. The bigger the better.