1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about C-plow pump leak???

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by 04chevyHD4me, Dec 6, 2005.

1. 04chevyHD4me

04chevyHD4me Junior Member

Hey there,
    Any of you guys with a C-plow experience a little seepage fluid leak from the allen head screw on the front of the pump? I just had a new C-plow put on my HD last month and I notice that the top recessed allen screw is leaking a little. I also noticed that when the truck and plow sit idle for about a week, the C part starts to move forward away from the truck.
    Any of you have these problems? I called the place that installed it, and they said to bring it over, but I was wondering if it was something I could do myself instead of driving all the way over there.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

its probably just a seal or o-ring but take it back to the dealer and let them fix it, brand new i wouldnt bother messing with it.

3. 04chevyHD4me

I don't think it is a seal or o-ring. The allen screw is a set screw and it countersinks into the pump. The tech told me it has teflon on the threads and is screwed in. I don't know why it is leaking especially since the fluid is so heavy. I was thinking of taking the screw out and re-tefloning it and see if it stops.

I may just drive back over there though, since it is under warranty.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

O.k. I looked at mine it's not a C plow but the Allen heads bolts hold the valve body to the pump. I bet if you remove the valve body and look at the hyd oil passages there O ring seals there, there the ones that are leaking.
    The Allen bolts just hold things together. So go a head and try to tighten them, but if you have spit an O ring you will need to replace them.
    I've been sent to a couple of heavy equipment classes put on by several Heavy equipment companies. There I learned to NEVER goop or use TAPE on any Hydraulic fitting period, as they eather have an O ring, a tapered fitting, or a compression fitting.
    If the fitting is leaking it needs to be replaced. If you use goop or tape you run the risk of getting it in you system and clogging the filter and comtaining your syestem.

5. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Did you ever take it back to the dealer? Curious what you found.

I've found that Hiniker is great for helping owners with about any problem or question. I've called and normally have an answer immediately or they research and call back.

The C plow will tend to drift to the down position when it sits. If I'm leaving mine sit for any length of time, I'll put a pin in it to hold it in place. Factory told me that's due to the fluid back draining into the reserve and is normal.

6. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I have a 2003 C-plow HDX leaking in the exact same spot. I haven't tried to tighten anything yet. I just noticed it yesterday and it leaks very slowly. I had problems when I first bought my Hiniker with the solenoids and the pump when lifting would cavitate causing a 1-2 second delay before moving the plow. That was agrevating but easily fixed by the dealer and they stood behind the warranty by replacing the entire pump assembly. Great plow just a few minor problems, who doesn't have problems with snow equipment?

7. 04chevyHD4me

No, I didn't go back over there yet. I haven't had time off from work. I am on vacation now, so I plan to go over soon. I will post and let you know what they say or do. It leaks very little and it not a huge concern, but it still aggrevates me since it is new.
    I did the same thing about the tipping forward. I put in two nut/bolts to keep it straight up. Just before I start to plow, I will take them out so I can flip it down. I will probably store it the same way.
    Over all, I am happy with the plow and it works well. I get some curious looks when I pull up tot he door am flip it down.

8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Do they all have down pressure.....?

9. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Hiniker C plow standard feature is "down pressure" in the back drag position.