1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about buying a plow for new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by classiclawncare, Nov 30, 2012.

1. classiclawncare

classiclawncare Senior Member

Im about to buy a 2012 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed. GVW 10,100#.

The front axle rating is 5500lbs.

Im looking a snow dogg EX85, which is the 8.5' plow. Snow Dogg says the truck will handle it fine, but is this a good plow for this truck, or can I go bigger/ should I go smaller?

Anytime the plow is on the truck itll be a full pallet of salt in the back and a salter that hooks into the trailer hitch receiver.

2. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I had an 8 1/2' western on my Ford CCLB and switched to a Blizzard 8611 this year. That truck gets real long in a hurry so my advice is to get the biggest plow you can. Your truck will handle it fine.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'd want AT LEAST 9 foot of blade on that truck.

4. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

And put box extensions on the plow. youll thank me

5. classiclawncare

Buyers engineers say this truck can only take a hd (middle of the line) 8' plow? Thats all they can officially reccomend for my truck. They said its b/c my front axle rating is only 5500 lbs and its a diesel.

Should I

1. Stick to this,
    2. buy this 8' plow and buy the wing ext. that add 2'
    3. buy a 9' plow anyway.

Im going to order this monday so im not sure.

6. birddseedd

with the weight of the plow and the weight of your front end how much # do you have in yoru front axle rating?

7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Get the XP, worth the extra $$$ on that long of a truck.

8. classiclawncare

I have no idea. The front axle rating number is 5500 lbs. The 9' plow I want weighs 850lbs with the mount kit.

They are saying its to much weight for my truck.

9. birddseedd

your frownt end is probably under 4 giving about twice as much left as you need to hold it. should work great. unlike my truck which simply isnt big enoguh to do waht i want.

i would recommend getting airbags tho. onlly 300 bucks and it will help keep your suspension from wearing out so much. will protect that nice investment you have in that new truck.

itl also give you a smoother ride and make your plow more responsive.

oh. and get box extensions. not 45 degree wings

10. birddseedd

call the dealer. they should know what weight the plow calls for.

11. classiclawncare

Where would I get the box extensions?

12. birddseedd

call chuck (269) 382-3686

he doesnt sell them anymore, but he knows who he gave them to to sell

13. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

3500 anything i would want a BOSS 9'2 on it

14. birddseedd

[​IMG]

windwrow with this youll come back and thank me

15. birddseedd

this is how i installed mine, keep in mind i did it WRONG

[​IMG]

you can bump it up and perminatly weld them if you wish, some do this. but you cannot get as close to curbs and garages.

what i reccommend is taking 2 pieces of flatstock and putting them inbetween your 2 outermost ribs, welding your bracket (make sure they send you the brackets aswell) to those 2 pieces of flatstock and then welding those to your ribs. your ribs have more strength than the mold board and are easier to fix should your wife turn the corner and hit a frickin tree putting a hole in your moldboard.

an even better way is to weld 2 pieces of flatstock across your ribs, having an eye hole in them. and then build your 2 more pieces of flatstock, inwhich your bracket is welded to, to have an eyehole you can hook into those first pieces with a pin. now your wings will swing neetly out and back. put a hydro ram on it from the bracket to yoru quadrant and you can open and close your wings from teh cab

another guy did this here on plowsite. i dont know the thread.

either way you do it. trust me. youll love having box extensions over even pro wings.

i have the ones that have a 4" flair on the outside, they also have a version without the 4" flair. i dont know which is more effective. probably the ones with the flair.

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

1. Don't listen to birdseed.
    2. Don't call "chuck"
    3. Your dealer can't install anything larger on your truck because of liability.
    4. Your truck will handle whatever you want to hang on there (My snowdogg VX95 is too heavy for my truck technically but it holds it fine)
    5. Snowdogg makes their own wings/extensions for their plows

17. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

This is the epitome of snow removal technology. There is no better source for all facets of snow business than the seedd.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you say the airbags will keep the suspension from wearing out so much do you mean parts like ball joint, tie rod ends, and hub bearings?

And how do airbags make the plow more responsive?

I wont touch the weight comments, for now.

19. birddseedd

the spring parts of the suspension.

if the truck has to life 2 or 3 inches before the plow lifts theres a slight delay. about half a second.

20. birddseedd

http://www.snowdoggplows.com/snowdoggHDEX_wings.html

here is a link to the snowdogg wings. they stick out, not up like box extensions. if you don't believe what these custom built extensions can do wait untill i take some footage. if we ever get snow up here. ill show you what they can do.