1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about BobCat use

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bobb40, Nov 3, 2011.

1. bobb40

bobb40 Junior Member

Hey guys and Gals I have a question about using a BOBCAT for snow Removal and hope you can answer it.
    I never used one before for snow removal, but a church I am contrcted to do just had one donated to them. The probrty is aproximately 40,000 sq ft. of parking lot. They suggested that they can get church volunteers to plow the property with the bobcat, then they don't need me. Ok fine, but the question I have, is how long will it take to plow it with a bobcat. anybody have an idea.
    I want to know, because they kind of said well if it don't workout, then we will still need you, problem is I have many other clients and I really don't want to keep my time open waiting for them to decide if their bobcat is gonna do the job, but at the ssame time since I am a member of the church I don't want to just walk away if I can show them that the cat won't do the job, but if it can then ok so all of you with bob cat experience please help me out here.
    BTW the cat is a front end loader type no blade just a bucket and is your typical HomeDepot rental size

Thanks,
    Bobb
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Hemi
    Snowdogg 8.5 HD straight blade

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

So just under an acre w/ a 5ft wide bucket........? 1-2" maybe 3 hours, 2-4" maybe 3.5 hours. If they end up w/ 8+ on the site it will take all day to clear with a bucket.

Who is going to do their salting? What happens when you have a blizzard and 6-10 inches falls in a matter of a few hours?

3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

1-2" with a Bobcat and 9' plow 50 minutes. 2-4" w/9' plow 1 hour. Have a property 3,000 sq ft larger no square corners and a lot of islands.

4. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage Junior Member

Ya, it going to be pretty use less unless you can get a blade/box for it. But that might have to be another donation for another year, haha

And I wouldn't just have any old volunteer jump in and start plowing. There should be like 5-6 people who can be trained on it and shown how it works and they can rotate during storms. Its not hard but for the first timers they will need a walk through.

5. bobb40

bobb40 Junior Member

They say they have walk behid spreaders and the people are also going to salt for them.
    The more I think about it the more I just want to go and watch to get a good laugh.
    The company before me was charging them $400. every 2-3 inches sometimes twice a day plus salt. I have been charging them $250.00 up to 6 inches of snow and around $140.00 for salt and they provided the salt it is on site bags in the garage. I was trying to be nice
    Also what about the liability who's gonna be responsible if someone gets hurt or something gets damaged? The volunteer I think not.

Well thanks for your input guys I appreciate it if theres anymore let me know

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011