1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about block heaters for diesels.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JustJeff, Oct 19, 2013.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

For all of you guys with newer diesels, do you have a block heater on yours, and if so, do you feel that you need it? I just bought a new diesel (Ram 2500), and haven't had one for years. Mine didn't come with a block heater and I'm wondering if I'll need to get one since Winter is upon us. Years ago I always had one, but then went to gas for the last ten years, and now back to diesel. I've had some guys tell me that they don't have one, and that you don't need them with the newer diesel engines. Is this true? I don't want to be left hanging when I need to go to work! Thanks for your help and responses in advance.

2. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

My dad has an '09 Ram 2500 Diesel, in the 3 winters he has run it even the nights at -10 he has never plugged it in. It always starts right up.

That being said
    Personally if it were me I would put a block heater put on.
    Better to have and not need, rather than need and not have.

3. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

all cummins have the block heater in them you just have to buy the cord..... We bought the cord and I think I plugged the truck in once last year. With our old powerstroke I had a light timer so it turned on at 2 or 3 in the morning and shut off at 6 if we didnt need it prior to that. I will more than likely be pugging the Dodge in this year and using a timer. It saves a bunch on electricity and they all seem to respond a little better to the warm block IMO.

4. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Too much money. Go to Geno's garage .com and get an original Fleetguard cord for $15.95. By the way, I have an 04 ram 2500 with 338,000 miles on it. It goes below zero here every year and have never plugged mine in. Don't even own a cord.

6. Crackersnow

Crackersnow Junior Member

The newer engines do seem to start better in the cold but yes diesel engines are tough. It does help with wear and tear on the components of the engine if you use a block heater.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

8. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

I got the cheaper one, works fine but I wish I hadnt. It is way too long and it is difficult to find clips that fit in the frame to tuck it in the way the OEM cord will. They will both work fine but I wish I went with the OEM version.

9. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

IRRC fleet guard supplies Mopar with the cords.

10. WHTTLHNTR

WHTTLHNTR Junior Member
    from Raymond

I plug mine in even though it has no problem starting in the cold. I figure I might as well save on the wear on the cold start. I guess if personal preference.

11. fffowler

fffowler Junior Member

Always plug my powerstroke in in the winter. Nice to have oil that is already 90 or so degrees right away. Easier starts, quicker warm ups and an added bonus is less snow to clean off the hood. Mine keeps the engine so warm it usually all slides off!