1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about bidding

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by plowingmomma, Jan 17, 2009.

1. plowingmomma

plowingmomma Junior Member
    from SE WI

Okay so my husband and I started our lawncare and snow removal. When you go to place a bid for a commercial contract, who do you talk to? If they're not available do you just leave your information, or would you leave a bid for the person to look over? how do you know if they are actually going to reveive the information?

Thanks for the help!!

2. I would ask for the manager of the company and talk to them directly. I never just leave a bid on paper and walk away. I always try and give that bid verbally so you can sell them on why you are better than the next guy.

3. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I would be short and quick about your first contact with the business. Introduce yourself, give them a sales flyer, very brief sales pitch, and then if they ask you questions then try to sell them a bit more. If they do not ask you any questions, mainly thank them for your time. They will have the contact info on your sales flyer in order to contact you if needed. You have to remember that if you go in there trying to say how much better you can do than whoever plowed it the last time, you could be wishing you did not say anything about bad plowing when they tell you that they plow it themselves. Nobody likes being told they do a bad job.

If they continue the conversation or call you later when they have time, then let them know prices. Afterall they are trying to run their business as well.

Just my .02

Matt

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  4. It was a figure of speech dude... You always need to sell yourself. If you tell everyone that all plow companies are the same except price good luck getting any business at all that pays decent. You sell yourself, not sell yourself short...

5. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I was only adding more detail to the good advice you gave. That's all.

Matt

6. plowingmomma

plowingmomma Junior Member
    from SE WI

Thanks guys I appreciate it!!