1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question About Battery

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PLMaint., Oct 26, 2005.

1. PLMaint.

PLMaint. Junior Member

Is it normal to use the factory battery for your plow truck, or should you
    get one with a little more juice to run the plow and salt spreader?
    Any advice would be great. 2003 Chevy 1500 reg cab, ac, 4wd, 7'6" boss plow
    SnowEx 575 spreader. Thank You.

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would use the factory battery until it is were out it should last atleast a year when it needs to be replaced then i would jump up to a good battery

3. wddodge

wddodge Member

I run two 1,000 cca interstate megatrons in my Dodge. With the single battery, my voltage would start to drop off on the smaller lots that required alot of angle changes but the dual batteries solved that problem.

Denny

4. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

if you can get another battery so you have two it helps.

5. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

In another thread, someone mentioned putting a second battery in the saddle tool box, and using welding cable to connect it. I've got a saddebox and lots of welding cable. I'm gonna give it a shot.

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Get a good quality battery and put at least a 100 amp alternator on your truck and you'll be fine. I had a 200 amp for my 03 F250 V-10, paid $ 233.00 for it off e-bay brand new ( place that builds them was actually 10 min from my house ) and lights never dimmed.

7. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

I agree. I'd make sure I had a bigger alternator first. Then you can figure out what you want for a battery. I'm runnin 2 optima yellow tops and its way more than i need.

8. NEAL

NEAL Member

Don't sweat it. Factory set up is fine. Like a lot of things you can always stand to improve though. When your current battery is done for replace it with a better one. When your alternator goes replace it with a higher amp. If you have the money put dual batteries and a high amp alternator in now. If not just use what you have. All my plow trucks over the years have been stock type batteries and alternators.

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I used stock as well. If you have a plow prep or a towing package you most likely have a little bigger alt. Like what was said when it does go, get a bigger amperage battery. I used the Sears Range handler in my last two trucks with good luck. I may try the Optima this time. A good rule is to use 4 low, the RPMs will increase and keep the battery charged better. I for one don't use low unless I'm in real heavy snow or the battery is getting week from wipers heater defrost etc running constantly. When it happens you'll know, your stuck may stall at ideling when lifting the plow. On a GM the defrost will automatically shut off. Well, that is what happened to me.

Good luck!

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I use a stock one as well, BUT- its not the cca that matters its the RESERVE CAPACITY! Many guys think the bigger the cca the better the battery. WRONG! The bigger the reserve capacity the less your lights will dim etc. But as others have stated you will need at least a 100 amp altenator if not a 130 amp. You could use an original altenator but if its a 65 amp or so the it just won't perform as well.

11. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Its my understanding that when they say a stock 65 amp alt, or a 100, 140 or higher amp alts that is at a high RPM. Im not recalling what that is, but I do recall that the article mentioned as an example.....a 65 amp alt at say 1000 rpm is only putting out 20 amps or so.

So it seems imperative to me that if you are having issues with a completely stock setup, then you need to increase the revs. I like the idea about using 4 low.....at least during times when you arent turning for example, and doing back and forths.

I agree though adding a better alternator is the way to get it done.

Hey guys.....question.

Can you simply tie two batteries together without adding any type of controller mechanism?

Personally I dont see the need to be able to switch betwixt batteries at all which is what the controllers do.

Is running them in series fine?

12. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Series bad, parallel good. Series will give you 24v. The reason for a controller or isolator is so you can run the auxillary battery down and still have power to start in the main battery. Which in my case is what I want. If I'm outside, I'd like to be able to run my stereo (or a light or whatever) without fear of not being able to start. As far as being able to give more reserve power for running a plow or lights, my unprofessional opinion is just tying them in parallel will help, it'll be just like one big fat battery.