1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about an utra to uni adapter

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kennyrain, Dec 24, 2007.

1. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

I have an 01 gmc 2500 with an ultra adapter to uni-mount. This setup sits low to the ground. I cranked up the torsion bars but it is still to low.
    My question is: If I buy a uni-mount frame, how much more clearance will I gain? And, is it worth the $400+ for the mount? These mounts are hard to find.

2. GreenKingL&L

GreenKingL&L Member

my conversion kit only lowered my plow i think 3-4 inches. If what you have works I probably wouldn't spend the 400 for the mount, I would try to be more patient and find one on here or ebay a little later this year when people start dumping stuff.

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

There are 3 versions to that converter. You might have gotten an older version that doesn't work real well with chevys. Remember the conveter pops right off during the rest of the year so whats the big deal on ground clearance?

4. panhead9

panhead9 Member
    from NY

i just did this an 02 unimount frame on an 07 I am not impressed with the clearence not bad as long as i am not in the woods , I have no expectations of doing this though with this truck so I can live with it. The bottom of the frame comes to approx the same height as the plate under the transfer case

5. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

I think I have the first version of the adapter. I cant even go up a little inclined driveway without banging the ground hard. It feels like the truck is going to fall apart when it hits.
    Anybody have any ideas how I can raise the mount so it doesnt hit so hard?

6. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

my dad got one for his tahoe and you can only go so high with the adjustment before you hit the license plate holder. Then the adapter plates really cut down on the clearance even with timbrens and t bars cranked. With a slight grade it will bottom out...if it were an ultramount or even a unimount style I don't think it would have that problem.

7. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I have one on a 04 F350. Mount sits a little lower than I'd like, we just have to slow down plowing over rolled curbs. The conversion part gets removed when we finish plowing.

8. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

itsgottobegreen

There are 3 versions to that converter. You might have gotten an older version that doesn't work real well with chevys. Remember the conveter pops right off during the rest of the year so whats the big deal on ground clearance?

How can I tell what version I got? Can anybody put pics here of the 3 versions? If not, maybe some links with pic?
    Thanks
    ken

9. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I would try adding a set of two inch steel spacers on the front suspension. New shocks too if your old ones are shot; this really helped with my old Dodge Ram. When I first installed my unimount I could barely go over 40 mph, if I was to go over a bump above 40 the plow and/or mount would bottom out (bad news). I added a the above mentioned parts, added about 3" of clearance between the mount and the ground! (my original shocks were SHOT though so new shocks helped hold the front of the truck up better) wesport

10. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

where do you add the 2 inch spacers on the suspension? How do you do this?

11. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I bought a new adapter as the old one basically just ripped into pieces. the new one has extra holes to move things up unlike the old one. I would say I have another 2" of clearance that I didn't have with the old style. I am using this on a 05 Dodge 2500 FYI.

12. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

2" spacers go on top of the coil springs between the coils and the stops. Pretty simple installation can all be done with floor jack, jack stands, coil spring compressors and hand wrench (or impact wrench if avail.)

13. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i just got mine on and i got 2 side plates mines not bad at all

14. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Too bad that his 2001 GMC 2500 has torsion bars.

15. Misch-Rman

Misch-Rman Member