1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about a vehicle

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Krieger91, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

As my sig says, I have an '81 mounted with a blade, but I'm considering also mounting a blade on my smaller truck.

I recently bought a 1994 Chevy S10 Blazer/Tahoe LT. It's a Blazer, but has Tahoe LT tags because it came with a towing package. Anyways, it's got the stiffer suspension and larger transmission cooler on it along with a 4.3 litre Vortec V6.

My question is this: Do you all think this little truck/SUV would handle pushing light quantites of snow with something like a Sno-Way or other composite plow?

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Yes, we used a 6'6" western uni with wings for years on a 88 S-10 blazer. Sold the blazer so now the plow is on a 95 S-10 pickup w/ZR2 package.

3. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

OK, follow up question: I live in the Lansing area of Michigan and haven't a clue what plow dealers are around. EXCEPT, that I'm pretty sure there's a Western or Boss dealer, one of the two.

For the rig I described, what would you guys suggest for a plow? I'm looking for one that's semi-light, reasonably strong, small (only needs to be 6'6" , maybe 7'), and reasonably priced.

EDIT: Currently my budget is zilch. This is something I wanted some proffesional input on, and that I'm going to check into and see about getting a loan to put a plow on this truck and finish fixing my big truck (needs a new carboratour and some other random things)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  4. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I'd do a Snoway or a Fisher Homesteader - depends on your budget.

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Depends on who is around for parts and service, and what you plan on using it for... Personal use or commercial?

6. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Mostly personal, but I won't rule out commercial.

If I need commercial jobs, I have my big truck with the steel Meyer blade on it, too.

I'm look for the little to be more personal, and for small lots/areas I might need to clear.

7. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Sorry for the double-post, but it wouldn't let me edit the one before.

After seeing that sechracer used a Western on a similar vehicle, I did some research and there is a Western dealer in my town, along with Boss and Sno-way.

EDIT: In going through the Boss website trying to answer my own question, I came across their "plow selector" and it says that "GM does not recommend putting a snowplow on this vehicle". Would a distributor do it anyway?

And, from Sno-Way, they found their ST and MT series of plows compatible with my 4x4 Blazer. So, given the option of the two, which do you all think would be better? The Sno-Way ST/MT or the Western Suburbanite?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Boss doesn't really have a "fit" for your truck which is why you won't find a Boss recommended for it. And any Boss dealer worthwhile likely won't touch it regardless...especially since Boss doesn't even make a mount for your application. So basically they'd have to hand build a mount for a vehicle that isn't recommended for a Boss. Not going to happen...

Snoway on the other hand, now you've got something. Tough to beat downpressure on residential drives. :nod:

9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Exactly. Down pressure is awesome, and even though the sububanite has a scrape lock feature, it doesnt compare. I personally would go with the snowway.
    JMO

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a meyer 6.5 on the front of my 91 s-10 blazer, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Tight turning radius, easy in and easy out. Plus it will push the crap out of up to 10 inches of snow without even thinking about it. Anything more than 10 inches, you will need a bigger truck, and alot more weight. If you get one on, (any brand) you will love it as well I am sure

11. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Do y'all know if the Down-Pressure is available on all Sno-Way plows?

I was looking at the stats of the ST 6'8", and when it went to power options it said that Down Pressue and Gravity are no long available for purchase from Sno-Way. Is this just for the ST series or is this all of their plows?

I ask because the Down Pressure part is what made me lean toward the Sno-Way over the Western Suburbanite.

12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Send a pm to either basher or toby442 and they can answer your question for you about the DP

13. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I did some research on the subject of the DP from Sno-Way, and it appears only the MT and ST series don't have Down Pressure.

Here's a strange oddity I found on Sno-Way. For a 1994 4x4 Blazer they recommend either the MT or ST Series. Looking at the ST 6'8", the polycarbonate weight is 299 lbs,and the polycarbonate weight of the MT 6'8" (also recommend for my Blazer) is 422 lbs. In some looking, I found their 6'8" 22 series (not recommended for my Blazer) only weighs 275 pounds, all of those numbers are provided by Sno-Way and do not include the subframe.

The Western Suburbanite, again in 6'8", claims to only weigh approximatley 250 pounds. Which to me means it could be up to 260. Would this be better?

I would think lighter is better on a small vehicle like a Blazer, but does anybody know just how much it can take? I'd like to get a 6'8" plow, and, as I said, lighter is better.

EDIT: In more research on the subject, Meyer doesn't offer my type of vehicle in their selection thing. And Fisher doesn't have a dealer near me. So, it seems that either the Sno-Way or Western would be just about my only options. Any other opinions based on this new information?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  14. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

it should be able to handle any of those plows. The uni that we use on my dads S-10 weighs in at around 400#.

15. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I don't have the Suburbanite, but I just bought the Fisher Homesteader. Total weight including subframe is 250lbs. I was going back and forth between the Snoway and the Homesteader. As others have said you can't beat the downpressure for driveways.

For me, I made my decision based on service - I had 2 Fisher dealers close by. For Snoway dealers, the closest one that I would deal with was 50 miles. They had one 20 miles away but he was awful and rude on the phone. If I had a Snoway dealer close by the Snoway might have won out.

I haven't plowed yet with the Homesteader, seems to be good, I was very happy with the installation, and I like how the vehicle plow mounting brackets can be removed with 2 pins. Right now you can't even tell my vehicle has a plow, which will be nice in the spring, summer, and fall. When the plow is mounted you don't even know it's there.

Again, I know the "scrape lock" doesn't compare with down pressure, but I'm hoping it at least helps when back dragging.

Maybe ask other Homesteader/Suburbanite owners that have actually plowed with theirs if they are happy with them.

I'll be sure to let others know what I think of mine after a few storms.

16. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

That's my problem too. There's a Boss dealer about a 20-minute drive away, the same for Sno-Way and Western. The Sno-Way seems good, but the lightest one (the ST) they say no longer has the Down Pressure option.

I wish I had a Fisher dealer nearby I could talk to. Alot of guys have mentioned the Homesteader.

17. Captain

Captain Senior Member

The Western Suburbanite is the exact same plow as the Fisher Homesteader, made in the same factory - just red instead of yellow.

18. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Why would that not surprise me?

Same factory, one red instead of yellow, and one with Western written on it instead of Fisher. Probably meaning that one has a bigger price-tag than the other.

19. Captain

Captain Senior Member

When I was looking, one dealer carried both Western and Fisher and both plows were the same price installed. I bought my Homesteader at a different dealer for $100 less installed.

20. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Apparently that's not posible for me to get a Suburbanite unless somebody custom-mounted it.

I sent an email to Western asking if they made a mount for my truck, and they said the only mount they make specifically for the 4x4 Blazer, 1994, is the Ultra-Mount. Unfortunatley for me, the Suburbanite doesn't come on their Ultra-Mount. Only a 7 and a half foot blade.

I didn't really want one that big on the front of my Blazer.