1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about a salt bin.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I am constructing a salt bin and was wandering if it would be ok to leave the hard pack limestone under it, or do I have to pave it?

The lot is very solid, it has been there for years with semi's on it all day long.

I know I should pave it, but with the cost of salt and containment blocks I would like to get by this year.

The pile will be tarped, then some sort of top and sides will be put up.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks Bossman

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would go for it.....might get a few rocks in your salt but no big deal...

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with Jay but if your just using a tarp, I would forget about using any blocks. Just dump the truck and pile with a heavy tarp and then cover it with skids. We put up blocks and tried using a tarp and it was nearly impossible to get the tarp off after it snowed, it's way better without blocks. JMO

4. Bossman 92

Thanks guys, the paving company doesn't want to deal with such a small job so it looks like I am going to give this a shot.

Bossman

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

concrete is cheaper than asphalt.

but i totaly beleive that i am like JD.....if i couldnt put a suspended roof i would not put mafia blocks around it either.

PJ

6. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

The first year that we used bulk salt we put a couple of inches of sand over the stone. After that we went with a concrete floor.

7. The MAG Man

The MAG Man Junior Member

Once you start poking at that pile with a loader, even if you do your best to float the bucket 2" off the bottom of the pile you will eventually want to clean up and trim the pile and as soon as the bucket hits the limestone, it won't know if its grabbing limestone or salt and will just keep digging.

We've found that not paving under the salt piles first contaminates the salt with whatever is under it, then as you dig a little bowl out with repeated scraping it will collect water and give you a whole new set of problems.

Pave it and be done with it. Try a driveway paver and be sure to pave the area in front of the pile so you can clean up and trim the pile post-event and make covering it much easier. They key to tarp management is keeping the pile trimmed and peaked so water runs off and doesn't collect on the tarp in low spots and then freeze up so you can't pull the tarp back.

8. Tim Wallace SPS

Tim Wallace SPS Junior Member

If you are in it for the long haul, pave it,your savings in salt will pay for the blacktop.

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

since when is concrete cheaper

10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

PJ is part of the kansas city maffia, and he gets concrete really cheap! concrete is $95/yd here......i have never bought asphalt and have no idea on it......

11. powerjoke

since oil prices has gotten out of hand! i deal with comercial asphalt and concrete everyday

6" of ashpalt around here is $6.50 per sq ft and 5" of fast set cement is $5.00 and yes both of those are installed price and normal cement is $4.00 or less including steel

PJ

12. powerjoke

haha jay, the first rule is to Never tell anyone lol

i can think of one guy that i'd like to tie to a cement block :rolleyes:

PJ

13. Bossman 92

Thanks for ALL the replys, made my morning a little funnier! :D I think I am going to try and go un-paved, for now. I am in it for the long haul, but the bin will be constructed on a neighbor/friends property and I would like to make sure this is going to work out before I go investing too much.

Plus now I will have more money to invest in salt!

Thanks Again Bossman

14. powerjoke

Hmmmm just a thought but can you take some ply-wood and lay it down first?

maybee take a layer of pallet's and then lay a layer of ply on top of the pallet's to keep it up out of the mud?.

everything would be trash next year but maybe O.K. for this year?

in year's past we have taken a load of Ag Lime and spread about 10" thick or so, on the ground.....it cost $4-5 dollars a ton and goes a long way, and who cares if you get a little lime in youre salt.. it just weighs more ;)

crete:....?am i telling him right?....correct me if i'm wrong, or if i am right you can still through youre half witted opinion in lol :rolleyes:

PJ

15. Bossman 92

ROFLMFAO!

Bossman