1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about a locking differential

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by vdob, Oct 19, 2006.

1. vdob

vdob Junior Member

Hi, I am new to the whole truck world so I don't know too much about them. I live in the Philadelphia area and I want to purchase a new Silverado, but I am not sure what equipment level I really need. Would a 2wd w/ a locking rear be sufficient to get me through snow and ice or do I need a 4x4? The pros and cons of each would be greatly appreciated.

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Having lived in the Northeast all my life I can tell you that you can do winter with a 2wd truck, but I would not even consider it without a full set of snow tires and at least a few hundred pounds of sand in the back end between the wheelwells. People are too pro 4x4 in my opinion today and alot of people seem to forget that for a very long time all we had ready access to was rwd cars and trucks and snow tires...been doing it for decades...winters haven't changed, people's attitudes have.

You'll probably like the 4x4 better when it gets nasty, but a 2wd will suffice if you're just doing A to B and have a pickup instead of a car.

If you're plowing you need the 4x4 though.
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I am way too pro 4X4, so I guess you get might answer lol! I just love having 4wd when needed. Can you get through a winter with 2wd? Yes. More than likely you will be fine with good tires and some rear weight. The locking rear will help you out even more. It is just that one time when you really need 4wd and it is not there. If you drive smart you will be fine. I lasted a winter with a '95 Ranger 2wd just as a play vehicle and it did fine.
  4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Not too sure of your weather, but here, you can do it with a 2wd. Rarely need 4x4 unless plowing, or farming!!! But 4x4 is nice to have. I dont own anything that isnt anymore!