1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about 4x4 and plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ronanryan, Oct 20, 2009.

1. ronanryan

ronanryan Junior Member

I was wondering if it is really important to have a 4x4 dually for plowing. I found a great truck that isnt 4x4 but with 4 tires in the rear for pushing does it really matter? Would it be the same as a 4 tire 1 ton with 4x4?

Please advise.

This place is a great resource...:drinkup:
  2. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Even though you wont need 4wd most of the time in a 1ton dually i wouldn't even think about plowing in one that didn't have it. It's best to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on what kind of plowing you do. Wide open flat commercial lots are fine with a dually. People have been doing them with 2wd trucks for years. Most municipal plow trucks are 2wd. Plowing rural residential stuff is a little tougher. I do 90% of my plowing in 2wd. If you decide to plow with it, here are a couple of tips. Good snow tires. Not Gumbo Mudders or Super Swampers. Dedicated snow tires, with studs if they are legal. Something like the Cooper M&S or Mastercraft MSR. Keep chains in the truck, use them if it's rough going. Weight. Lots of weight. Like a ton or two.

A locking differential would also be an asset. Something like an ARB or manaully selectable would be best.
  4. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

If your going to run with a loaded v-box (or other form of heavy ballast) while your plowing it should do fine for most commercial or municipal work. It would be the same as pushing with a 1 ton dump, just don't try to over do it.
  5. ronanryan

ronanryan Junior Member

agreed. thanks nekos
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you go with the 2WD make sure to keep a tow company number handy.