1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about 4L60E

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cameo89, Feb 19, 2008.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Question about a 1995 Chevy 1500 4X4 W/ 4L60E trans:help:

I am told that this truck has a one year trany, that the only trany that will fit is out of a 1995 Chevy/GMC Only, what makes this fit only a 95? can transfer case be changed in order to swap w/ different years?

Does any one have a goood used 4L60E trany for sale that will fit my truck?

I have this truck for sale, but I would really like to fix & keep it, if it does'nt cost me an arm & a legpayup

Thank any & all help, Yon

2. HBT

HBT Junior Member
    from se mich

Tranny

Cameo, did you ever think about a Jasper tranny. They just went to a 100,000 mile warranty.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The '95's are not externally different as far as physically fitting your truck except for the location and size of the casting hole in the side for the vehicle speed sensor changed in '96-up...but even that doesn't apply in a 4X4 since the VSS is located in the output shaft of the T-case, not in the trans itself in a 4X4.

The actual difference is in the internal shifting solenoids/EPC solenoid and all the related wiring that operates them. It is possible to install the '95's electrical components/wiring into a different year trans (or vise versa) but some guys have then experienced shifting problems after doing the swap. GM has been up dating the 4L60E's since it's first conception and the '95 are a one year deal as far as the wiring.

It is possible that even though your truck is designated as being a '95 model year truck it may have a late-'94 or early '96 trans in it and none of this would even apply. The only way to know for sure is to check the serial # on the trans and the build date itself to be sure. Most any GM parts guy can distinguish the date break and the serial # in order to see exactly which date break your trans is. '93-'94 would swap right in as well as a '96-'98. But a true '95 is a beast all it's own.

So basically your options are to either find a '95 (if yours actual has a '95 trans) or swap your '95 electrical components into a different year replacement trans.