1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question #3

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rocksaranac, Aug 23, 2009.

1. rocksaranac

rocksaranac Junior Member

Please forgive for all the questions. In reading all the threads on this sight I have noticed a lot about salting and customers refusing salting and this brought to my attention liability issues such as if they only want me to plow snow and somone slips and falls is that my fault? Do you put wording in your contracts that may limit your liability if they do not want salt but of course want bare parking lot all through a storm? I think I could word this question a couple hundred different ways but you will all know what I am getting at. I want to protect myself as much as possible. Thanks again, cr

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The main thing is to get them to initial something like "salt (or sand) is declined". Perhaps also "customer will contact contractor to arrange salting (sanding)". "Customer understands that contractor will not be able to respond immediately to requests for service". "Customer understands that plowing only will not result in bare surface."

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I have salting at owner request only, for a additional charge.

4. rocksaranac

rocksaranac Junior Member

Thank you...that was very helpful. Do you know if that will help in any way with the liability if they decline the service?

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

There's a old lawyer saying. Sue everyone and figure it out later.Most of the time if the owner declined salting in the contract you may be ok. but you never know.

6. Mick

from Maine

It'll HELP, but like Grandview said - anything's possible. I knew of a case where an owner got sued and lost because someone broke into his house clearly posted "No Trespassing". Owner had rigged a 12-gauge to the front door.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

OK lets high jack this post and start a war!

SOOO your saying if the posted speed is 35 MPH and you go 50 a cop can walk up to you and shoot you in the head? It was posted (35MPH, and you broke the law)! I think you need the punishment to fit the crime.

8. Mick

from Maine

Not hungry (not taking the bait). Start a new thread in the OFF TOPIC section, if you want.

9. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Well maybe the guy had something that said get out when he opened the door because I think all you have to do is tell them to get out and if they refuse its legal :gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Let the owner decide if he wants salt and have him sign his decision. Best you can do to protect yourself other then not plowing at all.....lol