1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question #3 (Add on)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rocksaranac, Aug 23, 2009.

1. rocksaranac

rocksaranac Junior Member

I currently do not have salting equipment and would probably sub that job out. If a client agrees to salting, and say my salting sub doesn't show up or he does but someone still slips and falls...will I then be liable in either case because the client agreed to the salting?
  2. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Correct, you are the contract holder, therefore you are directly liable.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My advice is - If you do not have the equipment for salting, do not offer that service. You will run into a lot of problems - coordination of service delivery being the most immediate. I tried it once on my driveway. I hired one guy to plow and another to sand. I wound up with sand on top on the snow. Then it all got plowed to the side.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Makes you wonder why we are in this business !:eek:
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I agree with Mick on this.
    If you don't have the equip.. then don't offer the service.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I would sub it out. There are reliable guys out there that only salt.

My view on this is. If I don't have the equipment to do the job...why not sub it out to someone who does and wants the work?

If you deny the chance for contracts due to the reason that you personally don't own certain pieces of equipment...you leaving money and work on the table.

sub sub sub...cause next year...you just might have that spreader or equipment you need, and another truck or two to handle what you had to sub out this season.

Grow it...Don't choke it.

7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You can pay for a tail gate spreader in a season if bought right.

Yes, you will be sued when you rely on someone else to do a job and they don't. When you are sued by the customer, your lawyer will then sue the sub that you have the contract with.
  8. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

tough call. most places that want salt, want a plow guy and a salt guy. in fact that is how i got some of my lots that i plow now cause i was the salt guy and eventually they wanted one servicing company because it's easier.
  9. rocksaranac

rocksaranac Junior Member

Thanks everyone, as always you are very insightful and I beleive I am making good decisions. Good luck for the upcoming season!
  10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Very true. It will even earn its keep with one good ice storm.