1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question #2

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rocksaranac, Aug 23, 2009.

1. rocksaranac

rocksaranac Junior Member

Next question: We like to offer our clients two options for plowing as some prefer paying for the season and others per plow. Our question involves the seasonal option. Should we limit the number of pushes per season and then charge a per plow rate if they exceed the limit? This will be helpful for our McDonald's account who calls us consistently to plow one small drift along the edge of their lot...not even where people are driving. Or when they get communications crossed and people are calling me when I was just there. They basically expect me to sit in their parking lot from Oct. 1st right straight thru April 30th. Also, any advice on how I can word my contract to avoid this constant hassle?

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Somebody always gets the shaft when you do seasonal pricing. The fairest way is to set a price and stick to it. But I think some guys put a limit on it, but I don't think that's exactly fair.

3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

If there is a cap on seasonal between the contract dates then it isn't a seasonal contract now is it. If it requires service before or after the contract dates, that would be charged extra.

Seasonal contracts are set up so both the customer and the contractor can budget for the entire season with no surprises. It is only good if you go by the averages for a number of years and I wouldn't recommend seasonal contracts to a new contractor unless they are a gambling kind and betting on an average or below average winter or if they have enough cash to weather an above average winter and survive their perceived loss.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Seasonal ... It does help create a more static revenue stream. Client knows what they are paying up front. Contractor gambles on no snow and that they don't piss the client off for charging when no service is given.

It's a double edge sword. Unlike insurance they expect service for their money. Around here seasonal is typically per average inch. Last two seasons some clients made out like a bandit others got torqued into bonus billing when the cap over reaches by a certain percentage. Still the question is what value does the client see.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Seasonal is unlimited plowing. If you have a drift problem put it right into the contract that plowing of drifts is additional then they won't be calling you back so much.