1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question #1

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rocksaranac, Aug 23, 2009.

1. rocksaranac

rocksaranac Junior Member

Okay...time to get ready. We're doing a lot of planning and working on bids today so we're gonna have several questions to ask. We've been in the commercial snow plowing business for three years now but just recently found this very helpful forum and are looking for some input from other more seasoned pros like yourselves. Our first question involves off site snow removal. We have our own skid loader, dump trailer and place for dumping. We are wondering what is the best way to charge for this service: hourly or per load? Also maybe some input on how much you guys charge for this service in your areas? Thanks!
  2. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Hourly, and rates vary by area. Talk to some local folks.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would contact an excavation company. They are usually the ones that do snow hauling around here. They should be able to give some prices. If you get the to the point that you need to haul snow, you are not equipped. Unless you are hauling the snow across the street, or you have absolutely nothing to do.

A friend of mine does a lot that requires hauling snow across the street once or twice a year. One year he rented a 244, and we used my 6x10 dump trailer. Last year he got a 544 and two triaxles. They moved three times as much snow in half the time. And being off season, he got the triaxles dirt cheap.

Get some pricing so you can do your bids. Then you can try it and see if its really worth it.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most places would have you stack it on site if possible.