1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

questin about angle pistons

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by eze, Nov 16, 2013.

1. eze

eze Junior Member
    from Mass

I have a fisher 10 foot power angle plow. It has 2 single acting angle pistons on it and they need replacing. My question is I have a double acting piston with the same stroke and was wondering is there any reason why I cant just use this piston on one side

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Yeah you need balance. You'll probably bend something with one cylinder instead of two.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's the bore of the double acting compared to the OE Fisher?

4. eze

eze Junior Member
    from Mass

5. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You're asking for problems imo

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You want to replace the two single acting cylinders with one double acting?

7. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I see a few issues:

1) The OD needs to be no larger so at to not interfere with the plowside "A" frame which is very close to the cylinder.

2) The piston working area is reduced on the retract side of a double acting cylinder, so you will not have the same amount of resistance to the plow angling itself when pushing before hitting the cross over relief. This is likely the most significant issue.

3) While the angling hydraulics likely does not need to be balanced, I would think the cross-over relief might, as it likely relieves directly from one side to the other. If this is not the case then it would probably be fine.

4) Finally, you may actually loose stoke as I believe double acting cylinders are a bit longer for the same actual stroke.

I'd get 2 new cylinders and call it good, they're cheap.

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yup he would probably have problems with the relief and the plow angling it self due to too much weight. I think you need two to keep the snow disturbed evenly

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah me too.Thumbs Up

I try not to disturb the snow without cause, it whines, cries and stomps it's cold little feet.

If you meant distributed than No that's an operator issue, the attachment points and quantity of the hydraulic pistons has nothing to do with the distribution.

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You know how when you have bad cylinder on a straight blade and it collapses when you start piling snow up on it? That's what I'm trying to say lol

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A double acting cylinder would prevent that unless the load was too great then the COR would kick in just like in the two ram system.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What color is it???