1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

quesitons

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dieselpusher, Aug 24, 2009.

1. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

hey guys. looking at an 02 3500 xtended cab dually diesel

anything i need to look for or should i stray away from this truck

it has 88k miles

2. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Assuming the Truck is stock.....
    1. If your able to test drive it, pay attention to the steering, Loose steering can be caused by a number of factors. Most likely a Track bar will be needed at the minimun.
    2. Transmission - How does it shift ? any slipping? Is the fluid burn't ?
    3. Fuel pressure - If you don't have a gauge hooked up on the VP44 Injection pump you won't be able to tell. These trucks were very prone to Lift pump failure, and when that happens your injection pump will eventually Fail. The easiest way to tell that your lift pump is still good is to turn the key in the on position and then bump it to start postion, you do not want to start the truck just turn it over very quickly so that the ecm activates the pump. You should hear a buzzing sound either coming from the engine bay or from inside the gas cap. When these trucks went for warrenty work they would put the new pump in the fuel tank. If you do not hear the pump check the engine codes and if you have a 216 theres a good chance your lift pump is dead and the Vp44 is on its way out.
    4. Check Codes any way.. this can be done without a scanner. Just turn the key (without starting) OFF to ON 3 Times and on the 3rd time leaving it in the on postion, and then watch the odometer display, if you do this right it should read " P PCU " then the codes for the powertrain control unit then " P done" then it will read " P ECU" then the codes for the Engine control unit" if no codes are present it will go right to "p done"
    Research the codes and figure out how sevre they might be.
    Code List Here : http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...ine-transmission-faq/96634-24v-code-list.html

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  3. dieselpusher

okay great.

are they good truck or should i stay away in your opinion

4. Stark_Enterprises

I have owned 4.. and loved all of them...

For those three suspect areas there are one time fixes that will let the truck last forever. For instance..For steering if i ever had to replace any front end parts they would be with a moog brand part. They last long, and have a good warrenty to back it up. For Transmissions an after market Torque converter and valve body will make the tranny almost unbreakable IF your driving it normal and not putting up HP over 400. For the Fuel pressure... well first start out by getting a gauge hooked up, and if your pressure is lower than like 10 at idle, than you can look at an aftermarket lift pump, depending on how much money you wanna spend the aftermarket pumps range from 100-600 bucks.

Check out the Forums at www.tdr1.com for Lots more info!
    Hope this helps ya....How much are they asking for this truck?

5. dieselpusher

thats not bad at all i have a 95 f250 powerstroke that i plow with now. but i want a truck i can have for my personal use and keep the ford for plowing.

the dodge has 88k miles its showroom condition for 19879

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Dont buy a 53 Block truck!!!!!

7. Stark_Enterprises

No worries on the 53 block... they were only available in 1998.5 - Early 2000

This is my truck.. 2002 48k on it, Aftermarket parts are : Airdog 100 lift pump, 4" Mbrp Exhuast, and an 60HP Edge EZ chip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

wrong. they were still around in 2002. Most were a 56 block but there are some 53 in 2002. If you have 6 and a bunch of lilttle numbers on it. That block is indestrucable. Only about 8-12% of the Dodges got it. Most of those blocks ended up in cranes and generators and is one tough block. People that build these motors look for that block. Just like the old 350 Oldsmobile diesel engine. Motor is thick. But the 53 block has been seen in some 97's and 2002's But most were in 98.5-01. But its worth checking
    Nice looking rig stark
    http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  9. Stark_Enterprises

Good lookin out dave. I guess i should of said I have never seen them on any trucks except between those years.

Luckly enough I have a 1998 12 Valve made in 10/97 and that 02 24 Valve neither have a 53. I did Have a 1998.5 3500 which had a 53, I owned it from 50k- 130k Never had a issue.

10. stillen

stillen Senior Member

i gotta chime in on this...... whats a "53" block....... im just curious

11. Stark_Enterprises

Click on Big Daves Link.