1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quesion on large truck plow frames

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Banksy, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I have noticed that a lot of big trucks (ex. 10 wheel dumps, etc) have the plow frame attached to the front axle aswell as the truck frame. Obviously it's fine, because I see it all the time, but why would you want your plow to push against your axle?:confused:

2. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

We never have our plows connected to front axle, haven't heard of that before; even when I worked for CDOT none were set up to attach to the front axle- how does the suspension work being attached to the plow?

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I guess the suspension still flexes. Most of the city trucks here have the frame mounted that way.

4. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

If you can get any pics of that setup it would be appreciated!

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

it takes a lot of the weight off the suspension and puts it onto the tires and its a low pushing plate...you mainly only see this on macks

6. Jon.

Jon. Junior Member

Nonsense, it's just a simple and effective way of transferring the pushing load, so long as the dummy behind the wheel doesn't send the plow frame through the oil pan on a bridge. Frame pivots at the bumper as the suspension moves. I don't think it's used on AWD setups.

Hvy truck frame is ~3' off the ground, much more metal and work required to transfer the load from the point of contact -- cutting edge -- up to that height.

Jon

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

some of those old oshkoshes have what looks like part of a bridge welded under the truck for the plow to mount to.

8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

it depends on the plow manufacturer. On the flink/baker units we use they tie into the frame not the axle(one of the trucks is awd).Attaching to the axel also makes it more of a universal mount.