1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quality results from a truck plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

I got the honors of plowing with one of our trucks the other night on a 4" snow event. The unit is a 9'2" Boss V-plow on a Ford F-350. I forgot how terrible of a job these plows leave behind!!

The plow just flattens down a 1/2" layer of snow whether back dragging or running forward. Even the newest asphalt lots look terrible.

Is this just a Boss problem? Do other brands perform better? Is there something I can do to improve the outcome? We have 8 of these plows, so I don't want to ditch them for another plow brand with dismal results.

The skidsteers and loaders make the plows look bad
  2. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Skids and loaders definitely make them look bad but the down pressure from those machines makes this an apples to oranges comparison. I have a boss 9'2 and I've never noticed it leaving that much behind? Still no where close to skid but no 1/2" left. When it comes right down to it! I think my snow dog ex85 does "scrape" better and do a better job.
  3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

My BOSS plows scrape clean, you have something going on.
    Got the shoes on, take them off
    Push beam at the right height?
    Rubber stopper set right?
  4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

X2, I get a great scrape.
  5. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Our Boss's were terribyfor scraping. Recently got a new MVP3 and it does a good job. Almost as good as our Blizzards. Blizzards have also been scraping this good for a long time
  6. Gr8WhiteNorth

Kind of unusual for 8 of 8 plows to be terrible. We have never used the shoes. Do you guys pre or post treat with liquid or salt to prevent bonding?

I will be sure to check the push beam and rubber stopper on Monday
  7. maxwellp

I salt when it gets Icy ............No pre salting, unless a Ice Storm is coming
  8. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

We pre treat especially on larger storms to break up the bond and to scrape packed snow a little better. We have an 8'2" and a 9'2" VXT. They scrape great, only a season old though.
  9. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

On our 3rd boss, 2 of which are 9.2 dxt plows and they scrape amazing! Something needs to be adjusted. Maybe post pics and see if anybody can spot something
  10. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

we have a power v 8'2" and a dxt 9'2" no problems scraping here.... maybe its the hitch height? Did the same place install all of the plows?
  11. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Got before and after pics to see exactly what you're stating ?

I'm curious, as it sounds like and adjustment to me.
  12. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

I got a buddy with 8'2's and they do well, until the cutting edge starts to wear a little bit, then they start going down hill
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How old are the edges? The older they are, the worse they get.

It is one of the reasons we went away from V blades though.

As stated, Blizzards do a fantastic job.
  14. Gr8WhiteNorth

This is a pic I took after one of the last events. The plow ran over everything and it looks terrible. (This particular site has a skidsteer that goes to tidy up edges and the parking stalls where the truck won't fit, so don't mind the unfinished look) The first pass of a vehicle leaves tracks through it like it was a fresh 1/2" snow fall.

I had a better photo of a shot looking straight down just after making a pass. You could see the plow ran over the surface and smoothed down the snow so it looked flat and packed, but you could stick your finger in a 1/2" of loose snow. After driving through it, it was a mess.

I need to get this resolved asap or I will be losing clients!!!
  15. Gr8WhiteNorth

here is the attached photo from the above post

crappy job.jpg
  16. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

That looks like just snow pack. It does not look wet enough to have ice/high moisture content (could be wrong though with just pics).

I think there's something wrong with your plow (shoes or edge). I only bring my loader out for ice pack and to move snowbanks. My Westerns always scrape well...but they are all 4 and 5 spring.

How about a few pics of your plow?
  17. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

That is definitely not normal. I think you have 8 plows installed wrong. What is your pin hole height on the truck mount set at? I have a 9'2" Poly DXT on a truck and a 9'6" Poly MVP3 on another truck. One does not clean any better or worse than the other. But they for sure clean closer than yours appears to.
  18. maxwellp

How about a few pics of your plow?
    Cutting edge?
    Push Beam Height?

I have Poly edges on my Boss Vs , they do not clean as well as steel but way better than that.
    Is this all the time?
    Only when in the 30s?
  19. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

You need to contact Boss directly. Have you already brought all of your concerns to your local dealer? I would hope so, but I would also advise going to the next closest dealer if that is an option.

Secondly, was that a clean surface down to pavement before it snowed or was there snowpack? Everything you are saying tells me that it is snowpack from being driven over due to high traffic commercial areas.

20. Gr8WhiteNorth

This property gets serviced every 2" or greater event, so there is opportunity for smaller snowfall events to accumulate and pack. These results happen almost always. Our winter temperatures range from 0'c (32'f) to -40'c (-40'f). The average would be -20'c or -2'F. Our snow here is typically very dry, however the event in the photo was slightly wetter than normal.

I will get photos of a plow on trucks with measurements of the pin hole height. All of our plows sit evenly on the ground whether in "V" position or straight.