1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quality LED Mini Light Bar?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by TLC Snow Div., Dec 6, 2007.

1. TLC Snow Div.

TLC Snow Div. Senior Member

2. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

It's one of those china knock off bars, regardless if you get one or not DO NOT buy it from nwa public safety supply, he use to be on another forum im on and he was banned for some things he did, not coming through on deals, talking a bunch of crap. He doesn't reply to his email in a timely manner or conduct good business practices.
  3. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

The bar you reference is made using Chinese knockoff technology. I have heard many stories of the bar filling with water and frying. The circuitry is not sealed in epoxy and as such is highlt prone to failure. The LEDs in the bar are a mix of true 3rd gen leds and 2nd gen LEDs the quality control is low. Also it is not a new product, it has been around for a while, actually, this company a few weeks ago got shut down temporarily becuase the bars name, slither/viper bar, was infringing on copyright of a Federal Signal product. Since the site owner refused to change names, they shut down all of his sites, he is now back up using some other name for his product.

Disclaimer: I have never had any personal dealing with this company, nor do I have a vendetta against the company, I have just heard numerous time of the problems and risks of these bars.
  4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

hey man i'm kinda in the same boat as you and this week i came i made my choice Whelen Responder LP truly awesome light you gotta get it with linear leds tho sirennet has a pretty good video if wanna check out . there one on here the compars linear vs con3
  5. i have the full size version of that bar, its just as bright as any ohter gen 3. i have compared it with other lights. Mine doesn't leak and mine works great. 1 year old, no problems
  6. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

I also know of problems with this seller, DO NOT buy from him, you will most likely get screwed or a POS product. Also, I wouldn't buy that bar, remember you get what you pay for, so its worth if to go Whelen or Code 3 or whatnot. Also that strobe mini bars supply may be under warranty, you should check it out. If you need it tested or checked, let me know, I can help you out.
  7. TLC Snow Div.

I appreciate all the input so far. I was curios about this bar because i've heard about those knock off that sound and are priced to good to be true. I'm going to stay away from it and go Whelen most likely. If i'm going to spend the money i don't want to skimp on quality and i'm definity going get an LED

That is the exact light i've been looking at before i came across this one. I would get the LP. Did you get magnetic or hardwired. I've seen the vid several times on Sirennet but where is the comparison video of the LP and Con3?

8. mike psd

from pa

tlc i havn't ordered anyting yet maybe tomorrow idk right now . most likey magnetic for now eclipse gave me some great info on the specs on this light and how to wire up the magnetic version it have all 30 patterns :)

here the link man http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=435551#post435551
  9. TLC Snow Div.

That's what i was wondering about,If the magnetic mount model comes with a switch to select patterns or if extra wiring and switches have to be installed to easily select multiple patterns.

Here is the Light:http://www.sirennet.com/whr2lphpa.html
  10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

thats kind of crazy i was thinking about that lightbar reading this thread....here it is about $30 cheaper

11. mike psd

from pa

eclipse explained it very well over in my theard about light bars earlier this week . i'll let you know what i think about it once i ger her :nod:
  12. TLC Snow Div.

Yes, i noticed that today.

I'll have to check your thread. I need to swap out these lights so i don't want to wait to long.
  13. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

I'll be getting a Whelen Responder LP R2(linear) in Blue(for Emergency Management work, not snow removal) tomorrow, I'll let you know what I think, it's a special mag mount that has the pattern selection on it and a few other fun features.

Yes, I had the bar custom built, you can't normally get it like that.
  14. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I've been thinking of doing the same thing; only to save money getting one with the clear LEDs and getting both a blue and an amber lense, then just swap them out when its plow season.
  15. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

I wondor how that would look, usually with these bars its colored LEDs behind colored domes. I suppose thought that it would look alright, might be a lighter blue/amber than what it normally would be though from the bleed over of the white. The bar I'm being sent has clear dome.

Just a thought, look at Lighting X products, they product special LED lightheads that change color, called Chameleon lights. Pretty cool and sound like they might fit what your looking for.
    (Scroll towards the bottom of the page to see what I'm talking about)

Sorry, a little off topic, hope the OP doesn't mind.
  16. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

just curious did you purchase your mini edge bar from a store on ebay ?
  17. TLC Snow Div.

18. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

As mentioned generally with LED's you put the same color LED beind the same colored dome. When you put white behind a color you lose some intensity.

FWIW on the Responder the LED's are mounted to the dome so it is a little involved to swap domes. A replacement dome for a responder is around $65.

BTW Good choice on going with the Whelen. The original lightbar posted, although bright, is not of the same quality as Whelen and several other manufactures.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  19. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I just got the highlighter led and I must say it is impressive. alittle pricy but bright.
  20. TLC Snow Div.

I was looking at the light also. Their flash pattern "magnetic" changing technique is really cool.