1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by summitgroundskeeping, Jan 8, 2002.

1. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping Junior Member

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but have any of u guys used a 4X4 four wheeler to plow and salt. One of my buddies used his to help his buddy's dad's LCO by doing sidewalks w/his 2001 Yamaha 4X4 660 Grizzle w/ a I believe 50" plow. He said it worked amazingly well, and since he could plow at about 30 MPH he got through all the accounts faster than they had ever been done before.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

first of all plowing at 30 mph on a quad is not so bright for obvious reasons. i bought a 2001 yamaha grizzly this summer for our sidewalk crew to use to do commercial sidewalks. i mounted a 48" plow with a warn electric lift and installed a rubber cutting edge on it. curtis makes a 12V electric spreader model #-175 that was designed for the john deere gator. its a mini version of their full size spreader that holds 175 lbs of material. we got to test it out the other night on a 4" HEAVY/WET snow and after we worked out a few minor bugs the machine worked better than expected. i can take a few pics and email you the setup if you would like. best of all i can write my "new toy" off on taxes ;) and use it all year long for recreation.
  3. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

Thats good white=green that the set up worked well for you I would be interested on seeing pics if you don't mind either :D
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

how could u not know if its been discussed here? did u miss the search feature? not sure how u could miss it cause chuck has really emphasized on it. also plowing at 30 mph is dangerous even in a big truck at times, and u were doing it on a quad? great customer image
  5. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Hey Steve:

If you get a few pics of that setup i'd like to see em...why don't ya post em on here. I love to see what everybody is using.

Oh yeah, I think you guys need to lay off on the search thing...everytime someone posts a discussed subject, someone freaks out about it...just don't reply if you don't like it.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2002
  6. stslawncare

not mad at all, in fact i love atvs and reading about them and there success, but its coming from a guy that believes in going 30 mph on a atv with a plow in the snow?! and he must obviously not know about the search engine by his first sentence.
  7. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Yeah, I see your point after reading that first sentence over again! I can't hardely believe that someone would go 30mph on one of those in the snow...he's got to be exagerating a little, or the person is just really stupid (his buddy).

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

first off i agree with OryanO about laying off when it comes to jumping someones sh$t about the "search thing". not everyone is as familiar with this site to know "everything" like some people here do. now about posting some pics of my atv setup i will gladly do so if someone can explain to me how to do this for i have never done it before. hmmmmm, maybe if i do a "search" i can find out. :D
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2002
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

10. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping Junior Member

First off, forgot about the "search" thing, second relax, not like I killed someone by not doing it. And I wasn't plowing w/it. One of my buddies was. They were BIG wide open strait sidewalks he was doing a 1:30am-3:00am no one saw his as far as comp. image goes. Yes 30mph is VERY exessive, but that is in open areas, and he's nuts. I don't have pics. but if you know what the new 660cc Grizzle looks like...
    his is gray, w/ a warn electric wench, a i think 50" yellow plow, and hand warmers.
    He bought it b/c he wanted a new recreation toy b/c he sold his sleds 2000 Polaris 700 XC, and a 1996? Polaris Indy 600 triple(don't know how to spell Polaris), anlong w/ his custom Harley. He's more into toy that anyone I know.
  11. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We run Polaris 400 Exploreres on walkways. Plowing at 30mpg is ludercrist!!!!!!!!! we do walks and other areas at or around 5mph! And we do 90% commercial and went with manual lift blades after 2-4 hrs the winch battery died and found that many do this.

12. stslawncare

hey landscaper3 very impressive website, especially the pictures, i love the black ford, esp the lightbar :) i am not trying to cut anyones head off about the search, i admit that i fail to do that a few times, no one is perfect, and ur right its not like ur killing anyone, its just the combination of that and saying that there is someone plowing at 30 mph that got to me.
  13. earth works inc.

earth works inc. Member

we have been using a 350 yamaha wolverine with a v- plow on the front and a cycle country spreader on the back with modifications on mounting. Works real well for the past 4 years.

Put a scrap poly blade on the front because the cheap metal cutting edges will not last expecially at 30 mph. I would hate to see where the operator would end up if he hit a lip in the sidewalk.

Anyways, I like the v-blade because the machine is a little light in the rear end and when the snow gets deep it will be hard to push with a straight blade.
  14. gotgetter

gotgetter Banned

Hey Earth Works, am I right that the Wolverine is sort of a mix between a sport quad and a utility quad?
    Any photos of yours set up with the plow?

Thanks. Later.