1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quads running

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by CityGuy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Here is a couple of pics of our quads running. 1 STX 500, 1 STX 530, 1 STX 535

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I have always wondered about this set up. I have seen them before but it's not very popular where I'm from. What is the advantage to using (what I would consider) farm tractors to pull cans vs. dedicated scrapers? I could see the advantage if it was afarmer who needed to grade some land. He could also pull implements as well. This looks like an earth moving job by an excavation contractor. Just curious.
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I think they are alot cheaper to buy up front for contractors that might not run them full time
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

We run the quads because of the low psi and ability to "float" on wet land. We consider our selves a specialty contractor. Tired machines spin or sink on wet ground we float. We have these machines set up with a special "program" for scraping as when bogged down they neutral kick so they don't eat the tracks to much. It is an earth moving contractor. These were shot last fall on a highway project in Minnesota.
  5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I forgot that these machines are setup with special hitches for pulling these scrapers. They can and have been used on farm land but are not set up with a pto for attachments. The 530 goes to Texas during the winter to pull an 80' field cullivator in cotton land.