1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quadrajet HIC

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by guilty1, Mar 10, 2003.

1. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

I am rebuilding a 1978 Q-jet for my pick up...it is missing the Hot Idle Compensator assembly, including the cover plate and screws. I am wandering if I can just fill that cavity with epoxy? Or do I have to make a trip to the junk yard? Is it possible that the parts store would carry the complete assembly including the cover plate?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's not really neccesary.It just lets a little air in to help the idle on hot days.You should plug it up,so you don't have a vacuum leak.

You could also get a used carb to rebuild without the HIC.

Pay close attention to the throttle shaft bushings.Grab the throttle lever and move it side to side.If they have any play,don't bother even rebuilding it,as it will never idle right.Either buy a rebuilt,have a carb shop replace the bushings,or put an aftermarket carb on it,like a Holley,Edlebrock,etc.

3. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

I already took it apart, cleaned it, and started the reassembly, which means I already opened the carb kit, so I can't get my money back!

What can I use to plug that cavity? It is missing the whole assembly...plate and screws included.

Will epoxy due the trick? Just mix it up and put it in and let it dry? I am assuming the epoxy is the kind of glue that comes in two tubes?

My 1979 Q-jet doesn't have the HIC. I was hoping to get this one running, then rebuild the 1979 carb.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your just plugging an air hole,so epoxy should work fine.If your concerned about which one,use a metallized epoxy,like the type used for repairing gas tanks.