1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quad for snow removal?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jeffrey Abrams, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Jeffrey Abrams

Jeffrey Abrams Junior Member

I,m a full time pressure washer and do residential snow removal in the winter. I have one walk behind snow thrower 24" and am considering either purchasing a second machine or a quad with a plow for sidewalks and driveway. I interested in opinions on if quads can handle the job. Pro's / Con's. Also where can I buy a good cart for spreading de icers and how much should I pay?

2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I recommend a Bolens tractor.

With a 10/12/14/16 horsepower engine, they have lock in axles (pozzy), and go through snow pretty well. They do better plowing than a jeep! Hi / lo range, etc.

Snowblowers, snowplows, and loaders are available for them.

3. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Jeff -- I use a quad, a Kubota with rear blade, and soon will be putting a plow on my Chevy truck for snow removal. The quad does a very fast job on fluffy snow or small amounts of wet stuff, but doesn't have the mass to handle the heavy jobs very well. Here in Vermont where the late season stuff tends to be very wet and heavy the snow would toss the quad around or pull it to whichever side the blade was angled away from.

So I moved up to the Kubota. Much better job of moving snow, but much slower. With the quad I can zip right along and throw the snow to the side until the weight of the snow becomes more than the quad can handle. With the tractor it's slow and steady, which translates to cold if the job takes a while.

So now I'll soon have a plow on my Chevy, either a Curtis or Blizzard. Plowing in a heated cab -- there's a happy thought!

Back to your original question. Sure, a quad will work. Just don't exceed its abilities. Also, ballast really helps! Pete

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Check out all the post about ATV's. Use the search feature, keyword ATV. You will find all kinds of info about ATV's. Good Luck. BOAST pumpkin:

5. wls

wls Senior Member

My wifes, quad, a 2002 Polaris 400 Sportsman, has the polaris plow set up on it, 48" one. We have a 1100' drive I have done it with it, most of the time in 2 wheel drive. I bought a set of chains for it, still new in the box. I'm sure theres a limit to what it can push, but we like it. Plus its a auto transmission.

6. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I like polaris ATV's because of the plow options they have. Watch this to see what I mean. Glacier Plow mount Add that to their Sportsman 800 EFI and almost nothing can stop you. :cool: :D

7. wls

wls Senior Member

thats what we have, very easy to install, and hook up. :)

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Just make sure you push your piles way back from the get go. Meaning room for future snows to be pushed too. You will not be able to push em back once they freeze up.
    Todd

9. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

10-4 on pushing the piles way back!! :waving:

10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

when you pust your piles back make sure you know what is there. i buried about 6 parking meters toward the road at one parking lot i plow. ooopppss. then the city came and took the piles away, and some meters. :):)

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

it beats standing in the cold with a snownblower

12. Jeffrey Abrams

Jeffrey Abrams Junior Member

quad on sidewalks?

for those of you that use a quad( I.m currently loooking at a Polaris to purchase) do you have any problems with damage to landscaping around the sidewalks? Our sidewalk are 36'' wide and the quad are about 46" wide and the plow is 48" wide. Am I barking up the wrong tree in using a quad for sidewalks and driveways? Thanks. I'm really trying to make an educated decision before spending all that money.

13. My uncle has an arctic cat atv with a plow and it works really good. He uses it to do his drive way and my grandma's when I don't plow it. I too have an arctic cat atv and I'm dying to put a blade on it. Yes it does beat snow blowin' and you also get to ride your four wheeler too!