1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

q's about my first blizzard plow

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by omiimiish, Jan 14, 2013.

1. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

Two weeks ago I bought a plow truck with a blizzard 810. I looked at two different ones. Both on Dodge 2500hd. The first plow (I did not buy) was in immaculate condition but the truck was going to need more work. The second I bought, better truck but older 810.

The first truck with the newer plow raised quick and easy no major draw down on voltage. He only ran one battery. The truck I bought has a major draw down when I operate the up and even the power wings, side to side not so much.

Is this normal for a Blizzard? I have used a Western for the last 10 years, so I am still figuring out this plow. I have not had to plow since owning it, so I do not even know yet how it really works.

Should I run two batteries? or a bigger Alternator?

thanks
    dave, blizzard newbie

2. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

I think most new trucks ( i have and 03 and 06) have 130 amp alt. My 97 ford had a 85 amp alt but i up graded to 130am. I have no problems on any of my trucks running 810's. Check your connections from battery to solenoid, solenoid to plow, and down where the wires meet the motor. If all the connections are good it maybe a sign of the motor going bad.

3. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Sounds like your filters may be plugged and/or pump pressure is low. If you have access to a 3000PSI hydraulic gauge and a test fitting you can check, or have your Blizzard dealer check. There is a test port on the driver's side of the manifold that you plug into. With the plow on the ground you should be able to run the hook down and hold it in the down position with the motor running and get a reading of 2400 PSI. Angle side to side does'nt take much pressure, but up and down and slideboxes out do.

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Lots of things, starting with good clean fluid, flush reservoir/lines, clean filters. Moisture and crud will drag down pump/motor to an ugly death. 810's are amp hogs, but a good truck with 130A alt should be adequate. I prefer dual batts as well.

A swap to an HD motor and higher flow pump always makes me smile :)

5. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

thanks

thanks for the input. Today raising the plow, and a couple times before as well, the amps are drawn down so far the check gauges light comes on.

6. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Have you checked your own batteries? I just had to change 2 on my chevy.

Also check the alternator while your at it. And make sure there is a lot of dielectric grease in the plug.

7. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

I only have one battery at the moment so that was one of my questions. It seems that it is best to go to two batteries.
    thanks

8. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Force of happen to say batteries instead of battery. One battery is not your problem.

9. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

If the truck starts good every night than its not a battery issue. Stat with all your connections, clean an tight. Than check fluid, purge and change, clean filter. If by some chance you mixed the original blue fluid with transmission fluid you get a mess.