1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Q's about '92 f250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by My bowtie, Oct 11, 2010.

1. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

What diesel did the '92 f250 have in it? And did they make a dual wheel f250??
    Pros...cons...???

2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Im not 100% sure but i think the 92 had the indirect injected 7.3l non turbo diesel. Not sure if ford offered DRW with 4x4. What i can tell you for sure is if you put a plow on it, be ready to have the drivers side front axle replaced. I had a 94 (same body style) with the turbo diesel that moved plenty of snow with a meyer 7 and a half with wings but after a couple of seasons with it the stamped front axle housing cracked between the pumpkin and the ball joints (under the spring mount). I was able to find someone to weld it back together a couple times and also reinforce it by welding a brace from the bottom of the pumpkin to the bottom of the lower ball joint mount. That has held up for a couple of years now that my buddy owns the truck

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I believe that year diesel was made in a turbo and non turbo. I had a non turbo. Ford did send out a letter on the engine about one or two of the cylinders and leaking antifreeze, don't remember which ones .As for an f250 dually I don't remember that but thats not to say they didn't make one.

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

92 F-250 came with the navistar 7.3 liter IDI non turbo engine.
    trans option was the C-6 auto, overdrive auto, and ZF 5 speed
    no such animal as a dual rear wheel F-250.
    if you want dually, you get F-350.

pros of the 92 diesel F-250 are same frame as the F-350.
    cons of the F-250 is the garbage dana 50 ifs front axle assembly.
    but it is very easy to swap a dana 60 solid axle into the F-250

5. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Reason I asked is I seen a 92 f250 dual wheel turbo diesel...Its at a dealer, and thats how its advertised. Badges on fender are f250 turbo diesel. Guess its possible someone put a 250 cab on a 350 frame and used the 250 title...

6. tjctransport

that is my bet on what it is

7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Thats what happened to my last truck. Vin and title read as a 94 f150 2wd but it was clearly a f250 hd 4wd, and all the engine and suspen parts were 1996. It wasnt a bad truck because whoever put it together did a o.k. job, just sometimes getting parts wasnt that easy. It even passed a carfax report before i bought it, infact the guy i bought it from bought it at a dealer and didnt find out about it until he starting having problems with the truck and the dealers service dept told him that ford didnt offer a diesel in a half ton. It actually started a state police investigation and come to find out, the person who traded in the truck to the dealer did the swap because the truck was used in a concrete business and the body was in real bad shape

8. Chipper

Chipper Member

Maybe someone just put on some wheel spacers and put duals on the truck. Easily done and fairly cheap if you already have the rims. Look to make sure the rims are the same front to back. Have seen a few trucks with dually rims on the back and just plain non dually rims on front.
    Could the turbo be an after market setup??? A lot of companies make turbo setups for the early NON TURBO motors.

9. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

All possible i guess. I'm not planning on buying it, just thought it was an oddball
    Here's a link to it... http://albany.craigslist.org/ctd/2002707516.html

10. tjctransport

that thuck is a mix and match of parts.

and the seller does not even know what it is.
    $12.000 is what i paid for my 02 superuity.

11. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I agree he is asking too much. But someone who has no clue will buy it.
    Looks in good shape, but it has to be a mut.