1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pwr Windows and lock controls getting wet

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cmo18, Jan 29, 2010.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Does anybody have a contraption to cover their buttons on the door? I like to plow with my window open but get my buttons all wet and I'm worried it might short it out.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

hevy dutty plastic and tape.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A towel...also nice to have in the truck to wipe off the window

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've often thought about that. A towel is always handy to have....

5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Usually my arm!

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

haha nothing bad has happened but im sure all that water is not good for things...just plowed 12 hrs and the inside of my door was just covered..

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Something like this.

[​IMG]

8. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

where did you find that?

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

off the internet. You can them them in most stores or order online.

10. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

I get my board wet all the time. It's okay. I am sure over time the connections behind the buttons may get corroded...but........how often do you hear about that.
    The only way you can short it out is if you dump a bucket of water on it and the pos & neg connections get wet by the same body of water. Understand?
    It's easy and cheap to replace a board behind a door panel if it were to ever go bad.

I often just wipe it off with some sort of cloth I find nearby.

11. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

I use a towel, it works

12. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

My window is always down no matter what truck I am driving. I also use a towel to wipe off my arm and the buttons when ever I remember.

13. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

there alot bigger than the ones i have found here

14. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

towel for me too

15. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

Easy, maybe, but not always so cheap... My power mirror switch is messed up, from what? Who knows, but quite possibly getting wet when plowing, I can partially take the switch apart, and the portion you can get to only has a bit of corrosion, not enough to either break contact or short it out, but I can't access the back side of that board without destroying it, so I need a new switch... like $130 from the gm dealer... paid 65 for one off ebay, but apparently it has been lost by canada post somewhere between niagra falls and here.... grr.....

Matthew

16. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

Pull the small plastic price up outta door wrap in clear plastic snap back in. You can still see and use all your buttomns

17. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Spray a little Fluid Film in the switch, it wont hurt it and will displace the water and stop the corrosion.

18. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Towel works for me...comfortable to keep my arm on and then there's a towel there for whatever else it may be used for