1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Puzzling MM1 issue...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by CaptainJon, Jan 29, 2013.

1. CaptainJon

CaptainJon Junior Member

hey guys,

I have a MM1 and it's been doing some funky things lately.

Here is a little background on the plow. The Plow is a MM1 8 ft. HD. converted this year to a Three Plug plow. Also Brand new Truck side wiring this year and a new fishstick controller. Last year the plow was giving me trouble lifting itself. So first i replaced the motor and that didn't fix the issue then I figured it must have been the hydro motor so i replaced that also and that fixed the lifting power issue. this year the plow was giving me trouble with the power so I replaced the last old cable with a new one. so now the plow has all new wiring truck and plow side, new hydro pump, and new motor.

So for what the plow is doing now.

I live in southern Maine. This past week the temperatures were COLD. temps were high of 10 or 12 degrees, with temps at night dropping to near 0 with wind chills well past -15 degrees.

So I hook the plow up like normal and it lifts like normal then go left and right normal. I then put it down and it struggles to go up or left and right. the motor is running like it should but seems like no fluid or very little fluid is being pumped at all. So I figured on damn my hydro pump went again... I put it in the heated garage for then night (60 degrees) and come back out in the morning and for the hell of it I plug it all back together... THEN IT WORKS LIKE NORMAL!:dizzy:so I put it back outside and unhook it and go to work. That night the temp drops again... So then the next day into night its suppose to snow... I get home from work and hook the plow up as the snow is falling and the same damn thing happens!:realmad: so I put it in the garage again and come back out early this am to plow hook it up what do you know it works :realmad: I plowed all morning with it working just fine just like normal.

Does anybody have any ideas I've talked to a few plow buddies of mine and we are all perplexed... any help would be greatly appreciated.

here is the truck with the plow.

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have moisture in your fluid. I'd change the fluid out and check the breather/vent on it.
  3. CaptainJon

CaptainJon Junior Member

its got brand new fluid in it.... but i was thinking the same thing....
  4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I agree, classic freeze up symptoms.
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What fluid are you using?
  6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I saw MM1 8' HD and did NOT expect a Tundra...how does it hold the plow? I had a 2000 Chevy 2500 with one of those, it sagged a bit...

And definitely a freeze up...
  7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Seafoam has an additive you can use to help dry up the fluid I'm not sure the name though.
  8. CaptainJon

CaptainJon Junior Member

I use the recommended Fisher Fluid.

As for the Tundra handling the plow. It does great. It's a much more comfortable ride then my OBS 350 Powerstroke was. However I do miss that truck when it comes to plowing but the ride on a day to day with the tundra is way better. It sags a little but the truck is leveled and on 34's. next year I plan on doing OME front springs and maybe 5100 bilstins also.
  9. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

A couple ounces of seafoam trans tune will work wonders with moisture. I put a little in with every fluid change.
  10. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, these Tundras seem to be tough trucks..Would I buy or trust one plowing for 10 seasons? Probably not, but for a couple driveways, they seem to do great, from talking to the guys here that have them.
  11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice Tundra and plow. I'm glad to hear the truck handles the plow well. I think my next truck will be a Tundra with an 8' HD MM2 Fisher.