1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Putting together an XLS out of the crate.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by RepoMan207, Nov 28, 2009.

1. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Has anyone here put an XLS together right out of the crate before? I need to know what it entails, what comes already put together and what isn't. I raided the Fisher site but it just shows it 100% broke down. I have been told most of it is together, but I am curious as to what....

Heres the deal, I bought an XLS about a month ago, Have yet to go pick it up for a few reasons. I finally made time to go down Tuesday afternoon. I called down there today to have them put aside a cutting edge and a snow deflector so I wouldn't have to make a second trip down. I made a witty comment about they could just throw it on the blade blah blah blah, well little did I expect a reply of "that would mean I would have to take it off the pallet and flip it over"! :eek: My draw hit the floor because I knew what conversation was about to follow.

I made it very clear when I priced it out that I wanted the plow only, "sitting on the ground, ready for me to drive into it an hook it up." There was never any discussion about "installing" or "assembling". Just a repeated question of "do you have the right controller & wiring already?" The owner was good enough to knock another $100 off the install price, but they still want $325 to put it together. There lucky I didn't just drive down there to discover this tid bit....I may very well have changed there impression of me to put it mildly.

Now it's a matter of deciding whither to rent a damn trailer for a day to go get it, bring it back up here, get it off the trailer somehow and put it together or just fork over the extra $325 and be done with it. Quite irritating really. I know the 8 HD can be man handled by one guy....but that XLS is almost 300 lbs more and I suspect it's all in the blade.

:help:

2. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Very sorry to hear this. To tell you the truth, me personally, I wouldnt give them sh*t!
    Hopefully someone has done this and can help you, because you have helped many in the Fisher forum.

3. RepoMan207

from Maine

I think Paul could hear my frustration over the phone. Obviously it was a miscommunication, and I am still getting a good price overall, but it's the little things that get to me the most. I was hoping they were going to look at the bigger picture and just slap it together for me, but I think they do too much business to give a crap.

I'm pretty sure I will bite the bullet and do it myself, but I am really curios to see how they come.

4. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Thats true. You pay like 6k for a plow, it should at least be ready. Just my opinion. I hope it all works out. Keep bumping this thread so people see it?

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Hey Ryan- will there be warranty issues if you assemble it vs. them? Other than that and the weight, I'm sure you could set it up no problem.

6. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

Hopefully this helps

RepoMan,
    Although I have never used the XLS, I did install an ExtremeV out of the crate a few weeks ago on my new 09 3500 Duramax.

The crated unit came with the headgear largely assembled, though there was still a SUBSTANTIAL amount of work in assembling and installing. Certainly nothing I would want to do outside of my well equipped shop, though I am sure that many have made due with less.

From what I have seen, Fisher plows come with one palletized unit with the headgear, a separate unit for the blade, a box with the Intensifier headlight kit, a box with the push plates, and a vehicle specific mounting kit with harnesses, etc.

I don't know what kind of vehicle you are mounting it on, but on my truck there was no drilling required to mount the push plates to the truck, though I did need to trim the bumper quite a bit. The wiring was a bit*h on my truck, simply because the headlights are so miserably difficult to remove on the new GMC body style, and no extra room under the hood to work with the Duramax. Otherwise very straightforward, and very sufficient instructions to go by.

I am pretty sure that mounting the XLS would be a similarly difficult undertaking. If you have the time and inclination, not a terrible job. If you already have too much going on in your life, paying someone else may be money well spent.

7. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I don't see the big deal, it will all fit inthe back of a pickup and you can unload it peice by peice with a freind when you get home. Putting a blade together is simple when you don't have to do the install on the truck all you will need is common tools. I bet you will be surprised at how easy it is.

9. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

what happens when somethingbreaks in the midddle of an event will you drive so far for parts/ repair . i bought a fisherfor my 2008 f550 i wanted to buy a blizzard8611 for it but the are no dealers within 50 miles of me . i did not want that headache!! and hassle of warranty issues and repairs dealer supporti s huge i have a dealer in town that i can call 24/7 for parts service and trobleshooting he charges extra at these times but to keep downtime to a minimum its worth a few dollars .

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

He said no, everything would be covered 100% blade side so long as I don't cross thread a fitting or route the hose the wrong way. Truckside is my bag bolts as I pieced it together and put it together. I was very meticulous installing it so I think I'm good there as well.

Thanks patriot, knowing you just did yours I was hoping you would post a reply. I appreciate the insight! I was fortunate enough to do my truck a couple weeks back. Overall it was very simple. I think I am going to have to take the headlights out again once I get the plow hooked up to reverse the headlight connectors, but we'll see.

Very nice! I'm going to document everything on this install for others as well.

Will it fit in the bed? My main concern is the blade. The headgear & A frame should be easy enough with two guys. The blade is a whole other story, especially coming off at truck height. Even if I could drive two trucks at th same time, my wrecker is out of commission so I can't use that to hoist it off.

That MM1 8 footer I did last year was easy cheesy to put together. Taking it apart was interesting, 60% wanted to fight me most of the way were it was mostly rusted together. I ended up taking a sledge hammer to the headlamps if I remember right. :D and needed alot of :drinkup: to cure my frustration once it was all over. :nod:

Unless it's an install issue....Cross threaded hyd. fitting, or a blown out hose due to chaffing, then any dealer has to warranty it. The kicker is my dealer is just over an hour away, maybe an hour an half during a storm, but he is either there or will come in at no charge during a storm.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Not totally sure about Fishers but but a Boss 9'2 will fit in the back of a short box with truck side included. Call the guy and ask him I can't see why it won't. Bring some blankets with you just to make sure things don't get all marked up if you have to unpack a few things.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't sweat the hauling part, it'll all fit in the bed of your truck. Tailgate down, blade crate in, the rest on top and a couple straps over the top. When you get it home two guys can slide the blade crate off no problem. :drinkup:

Don't forget the assembly tips I provided in the PM once you have it home. :angel:

13. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Yeah. Just have them fork it into your truck. Then you can take it out piece by piece as needed during install. The blade you can just slide out and let it slam on the driveway (a little cardboard protection doesn't hurt.) I put my 8.5' SS XV together in my driveway. It came all crated but it was not hard. I must say I do have extensive experience installing plows. But it's really quite easy. I did it all with basic hand tools and a 1/2" impact. That makes it easier but not necessary. Really all it is is a bunch of bolts. If your even kind of mechanically inclined you should be fine. Follow the instructions and I think you will find it easier than expected.