1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Putting together a plow assembly

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Axewhlder, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Axewhlder

Axewhlder Junior Member

Hey everyone. New to the forum obviously.

Anyway, getting to it... I have an older S10 that was used as a plow truck. I picked it up cheap and I want to turn it back into one. It's "wired" (I say that loosely) for a plow and has a front bracket for mounting. My question is can a plow setup be pieced together or do I need to know what type of bracket I currently have on the truck and find a setup from that manufacturer?

I plan on using the truck to do our driveway and maybe a few neighbors. Nothing commercial. Not looking for a big investment either. Preferably used parts in the plow system.

Thanks for your time.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Let's start with a picture of the set-up that's on the truck now.

3. Axewhlder

Axewhlder Junior Member

I uploaded a pic of the front. As you can see it's just the mounting bracket.

front resized.jpg

4. dieselss

My quick guess is Fisher. Any wiring under the hood? Or controller?

5. Axewhlder

Axewhlder Junior Member

No controller. The only wiring I can see is in back of the battery. I guess it's a junction box that runs wires through the grille for power. All i can make out on that junction box is what looks like "eclin" written in blue and it looks like there's a picture of a bear on it. Sorry to be so vague.

6. dieselss

Can you get a pic of that?

7. Axewhlder

Axewhlder Junior Member

I took a few other pics of the wiring and another angle of the mount if that helps.

grille connectors.jpg

junction.jpg

mount.jpg

wiring 1.jpg

8. dieselss

Yes that's a Fisher set up. I'm guessing minute mout 1 That's the plow solenoid, looks like it should be replaced IMO. Need to look inside the cab for the connector for the controller.

See if MJD can move this to the Fisher thread. Might get a few more pointers

9. Axewhlder

Axewhlder Junior Member

Awesome. Thank you very much for the input. There's a connector in there but it's under the dash and kind of hard to get to.

10. dieselss

Ok. Can you tell what "kind" it is. There's a few versions of the clicker. All are still available, however some are more expensive then others.

That single red wire on the drivers side, might need to look into why that's there. That's not factory.

11. Axewhlder

Axewhlder Junior Member

There's two connectors. There's a bigger one on the shelf area coming out. It's a half circle shape with a square bottom on the plug end. There's also a small 6 prong pigtail coming out from under the 4x4 lever.

The other red wire by the battery is a sub wire. It runs to the extended cab.

12. dieselss

I'd personally say the one by the 4x4 would be the one

13. Axewhlder

Axewhlder Junior Member

Sweet. Any idea where I can pick up a plow assembly for a decent price? I'm in Pennsylvania.

14. dieselss

Not really. Just start looking around.
    I'm thinking you can go much bigger then 7___7.5 at the max.

15. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I have an 8 foot might be to heavy for u though

16. Axewhlder

Axewhlder Junior Member

Probably. It's an old truck with old suspension. haha

I'm guessing Craigslist is the best place to look? Will any Fisher work?

17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Not sure where in PA you are but look up Stork's Automotive.

18. Xtreme Fab

Xtreme Fab Junior Member

I got a 6'8" fisher plow that would go right on that truck. Complete with a toyota tacoma mount, and wiring. Just have to change the wire ends for the head lights. $3000 cash I am in central md.

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes that is a Fisher mount, but you need to measure the distance between those mounts since Fisher used to make a 6'8" & 7" plow setup with a narrow headgear for the smaller trucks. If that is the setup you have then you wouldn't be able to hook up to a 7'6" plow since the headgear would be too wide.

Best of luck, those were good little plow trucks.

20. Axewhlder

Axewhlder Junior Member

3g's is a little out of the price range for what we're trying to do.

Thanks for the info about mounting the plow and measuring it too, Plowguy.