1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

putting the blades on

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTS Landscaping, Nov 1, 2004.

1. JTS Landscaping

JTS Landscaping Member

just curious when do some of you guys start to put your blades on.
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Usually right after it starts snowing. If I know that it's going to snow for sure, then I'll put it on the night before. I'm starting to see a lot of guys with theirs on lately. I've actually got mine on right now because I had to move it for the old lady earlier.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't put mine on and leave it on for the season. I am going to put it on the weekend to make sure everything is OK. Then I will put it on just before it snows. If they are calling for snow I usually line it up ready to go and then all I have to do is put the pins in and connect the wiring.
  4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

i giuss i have extra truck i always keep one ready to go and other takes 15 min to istall plow and salter and tanks. Salt and chemicals are stored at locations so iam just waiting for the white stuff to fall....
  5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I always like to hook up the plow, salter, & load ballast bags of salt (covered with tarp) the night before. A couple of times we have received fire calls in the middle of the night & it started snowing before I could get home to hook up, this is a good way to be behind all day! :waving:
  6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if i hook up before it is suppose to snow it never does. the further away i am from my plow the more it will snow. :):)
    i hooked it up last week to make sure everything works good and this weekend will check everything out more extensively.
  7. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

I think it may depend more on what situation or equipment you have.

Some older equipment takes longer and is difficult to hook up, on the other hand some of the new ones it takes only a few minutes.

Suppose it also has to do with if your plow sits outside, or a nice warm shop to hook it up in. Or how many plows you have.
  8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

on my little trucks i put on blades a day before on my company truck i wait until it is needed as it is a 12 footer. btw it takes about 2 minutes to hook up my 12footer.
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

i don't leave mine on all season either. i put the plow on the night before a strom hits. Its always on at the latest, 5 hours before the snow starts.
  10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i do my service make sure everthing is working then the night before it snows
  11. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Mine is off until the snow starts. Then it will be on/off daily. It only takes about 25-35 seconds to hookup.

The salter on the other hand is a bear to hookup. It weighs about 150lbs. I had it installed yesterday, and took it off today to tow the cleanup rig. As soon as the trailers are parked for the winter (within the next few weeks), I will mount the salter again and leave it on until I start mowing in the spring.
  12. shepoutside

shepoutside Member

I have my back up plow, ready, only cuz I needed it to plow the leaves, lol Spreader is on too. rest will, probably be done during the first snowfall, as we are still busy with lawns.
  13. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We put one V-box on and one plow on yesterday. One truck is all ready to go as of yesterday. The rest of the trucks will all get the plows and sanders on after the cleanup season is done. After the first storm we keep the plows and sanders on all the trucks for the rest of the winter. We will take one plow off of one truck so we can use it for running around and doing small jobs in between storms but the rest of the trucks sit at the shop waiting and ready to go. Much easier to get ready before a storm when you just have to check over everything and not hook stuff up. just my two cents

14. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Ours go on after clean ups or as the first snow hits. They say on all winter, but then again these are not our daily drivers either. We do have 3 trucks with V boxes in already ( just in case )
  15. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

All my plows have been mounted and 2 have been removed and will wait for snow. 1 of the plows/sander combinations has a plow on it 24/7/365. With the steller hook lifts I can have a 2 yd. V box sander mounted in less then 1 minute.
    If you want it to snow and have a steel blade just put a coat of paint on it. Here it will snow before it is dry.