1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Putting in a performance muffler... risk of breaking more manifold bolts?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, May 3, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well, I've been doing a LOT of highway driving lately (over 15K this year, thus far), and am thinking that I'd like to put in a performance exhaust muffler into my truck. Not only to squeeze maybe another MPG out of her, but also cause I love the sound of a nice throaty exhaust :nod:

What I'm worried about though- my manifolds have become very rusty, and I'm worried that when they go to remove the old muffler, and install the new one, they may damage the manifolds somehow, requiring me to put in new manifolds, tap out the broken off bolts... making the whole project more of a hassle than it's really worth... your thoughts?

Also- anyone know a good place to get the "loudest- throatiest" magnaflow that will fit my exhaust with minimal mods ($$$)?

2. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

I never would have thought that changing the muffler would have broken a manifold bolt, but I a have a 02 1500hd which is the same engine as yours and after they installed my magnaflow catback exhaust i now have an exhaust leak on my passenger side manifold and the head on the rear bolt is broken off. Didnt hear an exhaust leak before but now i do, even with my new loud ass muffler. The only weird thing is the broken bolt doesnt look like a fresh break as it is rusty where the head broke off, so i dont know if it was already like this and moving the exhaust arount made it louder, but i figured i should see silver steel and not rusty steel where it broke. On another not i wanted an exhaust with little more tone and I got a maganflow cat back kit and it is way too loud for me, I mine as well have no muffler.
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Matt,most people do not realize to support the pipes with a jackstand before cutting them. That initial change in the weight or angle of the pipes can hurt them. But I can say I have never had an issue like that before. Just be careful in what you are doing!!
  4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I was going to have an exhaust shop do the install for me- unless someone knows where to get a complete- bolt on kit, I don't really have any way to fab-up an exhaust system.