1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

putting in a new odometer...why?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Yzal, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

im looking at getting a 94 chev 3500 diesel, i've talked to the seller about it and it was used for plowing and towing, the only thing he said was different was that the trucks odometer says 35,000 but the dealer say's it has 105,000 and the owner put a new odometer in... why? and how the heck do i know this truck does not have 200,000 + miles on it?
    thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

How long was the original one broken for ? Unless it's a smokin deal,and the truck is really nice,I would not bother.You never know,it could have 300,000 miles.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If the job was done at a shop,they have to record the before and after mileage,and put a bright red door sticker on it,with the info.A lot of those dashboards had circuit board and oil pressure guage problems,Im not suprised it needed to be changed.If the job was done at home,or by a friend,he should have pept the receipt from where it was bought,with the mileage of the donor dash,and kep the old dash to validate the mileage in the future.I know I would do that.Lets fact it guys,if they really want to roll back the miles,I think they would have set the new odometer to the old mileage- a 30000 miles or so.Its a used high miles truck,pay accordingly,and buyer beware.Remember you get what you pay for.

4. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

i'll look for the sticker. is asking price 8,400 a smokin deal?:rolleyes:

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

$8400 might be a smoking deal up there, but down here, more like $6400 would be a reasonable deal. It would have to be a real cream puff for $8400, considering it was used for towing & plowing. You can't put much more strain on a truck. New brakes, ball joints, control arm bushings, CV joints, and front end parts can end up co$ting you real quick.

Go to www.kbb.com and see what the price should be in your area.

~Chuck

6. John DiMartino

Supply/demand in your area will dictate prices along with condition of truck.I personally wouldnt pay that much for the truck,unless it was perfect.I am not a big fan of hi miles electronic 6.5's and 4L80E's.Id personally ratehr have a 350TBI,simple,easy to work on and cheap to replace.

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

I P.A .YOU CAN GET THAT INFO THRU THE DMV EVERY TIME YOU REGISTER THE CAR YOU HAVE TO SUBMIT A MILEAGE STATEMENT
    IF THE MOTORS JUNK YOU COULD CONVERT IT TO GAS?
    I BELEIVE YOU CAN ALSO CHECK THRU SEVERAL SERVICES ON THE WEB .YOU GIVE THEM THE VIN AND THEY DO A HISTORY SEARCH

CARDOCTOR

SURE IS COLD OUT THERE:realmad:

8. John DiMartino

if the truck is clean,Id convert it to a 12V Cummins 5.9 before i converted to a 350 gasser. Thats a real diesel,the truck is already set up for diesel(dual BAtts)diesel tank,exhaust,wiring,,radiator,etc.They make adapter plates for the Cummins to Gm trans pattern,heck many for the bread trucks had TH400's behind the 4BTA,So stock adapter plate from one of them would work.

9. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

i did look it up on kbb and the price came out higher then the asking price... so i punched in higher miles and different things to bring the price down but it still didn't go as low as the asking price.:confused: well i might be looking at the truck this weekend and see how it goes. i know im not going to put in a v12(a little to big!) most likely a rebuild if nessesary.
    thanks

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Forgot to mention it before. Go here:

http://www.nada.com/

NADA is the "yellow book" that dealers use as a reference. The Blue Book is just a myth (that they really use the prices). NADA used to give you wholesale prices too. Go buy a used vehicle at a dealer, get their best price. Whip out a NADA book, and watch the look on the salesman's face, LOL.

~Chuck

11. John DiMartino

Guys I do not use KBB as a guide.The prices on there are way high.This is just my opinion,but i feel that the most realistic prices,and values are given on Edmunds.com,go to the real world apraisal and get the value.Of everythign ive bought /sold,they are right on the money.I think KBB,and NADA are out to lunch,prices are way out of line.

12. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

i saw somewhere on tv i think that kbb actually favors their prices towards the dealers rather than consumer:(

13. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

thanks. the nada really did differ from kbb, it asked less questions and i feel gave me a better over all highend lowend price scale. i'll bring a copy along watch him shake:D

14. John DiMartino

I just booked it 5500 bucks private part,this is assuming it is white,and in my area code.Also i booked it as a 4x4 reg cab 8ft box with a cheyenne pgk,and only a step bumper,6.5 engine,and auto trans as options. This also assumes it has 105K miles,but in actuality unless this guy can show some paper for the dash install dates,and has a paper trail for the inspections/miles,this truck is a TMU true mileage unknown.This kills the value by 20-45% usually,with this old a truck,I think it wont hurt as much as if it were a 99 or so,but neverthe less there is the possiblity it has many,many more miles.