1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Putting equipment responsibility on Operator

Discussion in 'Employment' started by PhilCat, Nov 3, 2010.

1. PhilCat

PhilCat Junior Member
    from Mpls Mn

As owner, here's the first thing you hear hiring someone, 'Yea I know how to run a cat'.

When in fact at best, they only ever ran one with a bucket in the dirt.

Now as we all know,
    running angle plows, and angle brooms, it needs to be verified when set at angle that the equipment is squarely sitting on the ground.

This doesn't just happen by default.
    If not paying attention to details, you end up with a junk broom that is worn 3 inches shorter on one end in less than 40 hours use.

No second season for this broom.
    Same with angle plow, and both items in the Bobcat line.

You can preach all you want watching operator do just the opposite, not listening or cares less.

So I've come to the conclusion, make them pay the $500 up front.
    Maybe they get a clue when check is minus the amount to make the repairs.

I just completed major makeover on the broom twice now.
    First it was concrete building that was in the way bending the 3/8" steel frame on motor side so far out, the broom fell out of the drive.

Bobcat said it was totaled, and buy another one we have used for $4500.
    But needs $400 in new broom sections.

I took it back to the shop, and made all the repairs to better than new condition. 3 nights of bending, welding, grinding, painting, it was back on the job.

This has been fully photographed at every detail of repair if needed.

So, how do some of you make, and get the point across to the damage they do when they care less.

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Show them some pictures (Of previous damage) and explain that there is no reason for this to happen..
    Unless there was a just cause (reason it happen)..

I don't think any one will agree to up front money for damages...

I know I won't...
  3. PhilCat

PhilCat Junior Member
    from Mpls Mn

Right, but the threat it will be taken from check will be the new line of defense.
    Plus view all repair images for no reason.

There's no such thing as accident, unless you are unconscious from hitting your face into the glass door from hitting curb square on.

I came across operator that did one similar, the glass was hanging out of the door frame, face all bloody, and he didn't have a clue it happened.
    He had plowed the lot for ten years and knew the curb island was there.

He didn't take pre cautions to back drag the Island curbing in the deep snow and ran full bore into it.
    A step that only takes seconds to mark out ahead of time with bucket clearing the border.
  4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

the legality of it is you can't charge an employee for damage they cause. Say they bang up a company truck, you cant even charge them for the deductible. (unless you could maybe prove them to be drunk or high, then I'm not sure)

It would deffinately not fly to charge them for a piece of equipment wearing out prematurely because they suck as an operator. You could maybe even be sued by the state or county for trying to charge them.
  5. PhilCat

PhilCat Junior Member
    from Mpls Mn

Right, and is why the term used is threat.
    If you were told tomorrow, that all employees are going to be charged, regardless the amount, would this make you take a mental notice and wonder all night and maybe use just the slightest bit of the remaining 2 brain cells left, that tonight, we'll be a little more careful.

The options of destruction are incredible.
    Millions worth of new cars on each block, you could side swipe them all and be the next video hero on Cops.

Handing over the controls is a huge mind ---k.
    $500 bucks is spit compared to beer funds used.

One has to rant once in a while.
  6. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

what ever happened to the good old test drive... oh you say you can operate this piece of equipment??? well let's go and find out.... 1 minute into there test you should know if there full of **** or can do the job well
  7. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

8. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

Get Better Guys, there is a million out there.

a good operator will more than pay for himself, a cheap sh1tty one will cost you twice as much in the long run, plus headaches

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

Mark the lot

Have you ever thought about driveway markers if they could see a 4 foot stick sticking out of the ground they wouldnt hit anything in the snow
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Illegal or not, I had every one using my equipment sign in their contract, if there is damage as a result of misuse or abuse they are responsible for any repairs or replacement. Things happen but I'm sick of replacing and repairing broken things. I'm even thinking of a bonus plan for good work (as if pay wasn't enough). Next week all my skid steer guys are going to show me what they can do.
  11. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Take into consideration if the person(s) have been working long hours there Is a Fatigue factor to thing about..

People get tiered response and judgement are(get) impaired .....No different than an OWI...
  12. Reliable Snow and Ice

not a bad idea but what would be better than pay... maybe a date with a really really hot chick that you set up and that they had a chance in hell to go out with....:waving::waving:
  13. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

some times the operator suucks because the teachers sucks
  14. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

If they can'do the job right get someone that can it's that simple! Don't put an ad in the paper you just get some joe-blow that thinks he knows everything that's what my father in law use to do and with me being the foreman I had to suffer with stupid people. That's why I started my own company. Go to the unemployment office put in a request for workers there is plenty of people looking for work that is layed off then you get someone that has the brains to run equipment.
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You sound like a great guy to work for. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Or, you hire the cheapest help you can get. There's an old expression, you get what you pay for.

While it is not legal to charge hourly employees for damage, it IS legal to give them a bonus if they don't break anything. You could do per storm, monthly, or end of the season.

And, accidents do happen. Especially when the boss is always saying go faster.
  16. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

A blind leading a blind!
    Training is a big issue for sure!
    But we also have Guys that are in the biz for many years and should know better!
    I'm sometimes baffled how little they know about equipment!

Had a Guy putting diesel in a gas truck......not by accident he thought it was a diesel truck. I just left when he told me!
    Can't you hear the difference in engine noise? Does it need glowing to start at a cold day? Is there a glow light on the dash? MORONS!
    You call when you have no paper to whipe your a$$ but you don't call when you are about to put the wrong gas in a truck.

The other way around it would have been a fatal engine failure this way it was just some sucking out.:sleeping::sleeping:
  17. Reliable Snow and Ice

ok first off :laughing: please tell me you fired that guy..... and the only thing I can say
    no matter how hard you try you alone can not fix stupid.....:nod::laughing::laughing:
  18. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

He's still working here.....he is a good guy with a licence but that was a bold move. At least he appologized. The whole crew was walking around like dogs with their tails cut off. They knew I was pi$$ed!
  19. Reliable Snow and Ice

ask him why a diesel engine need's glow plugs?? see what he say's....

stupid answer would be well doesnt the fuel need light to see where it is going?:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
  20. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

the cost is yours and yours alone, your opening yourself up to liability. don't be cheap, if they suck fire them hire a bettter worker, that will get the point across to your other employees that you will not tolerate negligence. as far as what you said about accidents, i have to disagree with you, guys work weird hours throw off there sleep cycle, you need to plan on crap happening, it should be budgeted when your pricing your contracts. i always throw in 5% extra just as a gimme, someting is gonna happen nature of the work we do... get used to it...if your on the line so close that a little damage to your equipment is throwing you in the red than you obivously are not charging enough, raise your prices...